Explorers Memorial

Any Topic

Moderator: OpenUru.org Moderators

Tai'lahr

Explorers Memorial

Post by Tai'lahr »

It's been eight years since the installation of the Explorers Memorial, so it's not surprising there are many explorers who've arrived since then that are unaware of its history or even know whether or not the names are of real people. It periodically comes up on the MOUL forum. Even explorers who were around at that time likely don't know all that much about more than a just a few of the people on it.

So, I've created a wiki page, Explorers Memorial to provide more information on both the memorial and the individuals. I've tried to keep the format simple, just provide the facts and links to places where others tell their stories in more detail. I mainly want to cover the era(s) they were active and if they did anything notable (Guild Master, Liaison, Age-Builder, Mysterium Committee, etc.).

With the exception of a few that were pre-Uru and will require digging deeper into the dusty archives, I've pretty much gathered as much information as I can on the rest of them. I did my best on the three German explorers (Katzi, Perlenstern, Ramsine), but feel a German-speaking explorer could do better by them. And, I can find absolutely nothing on Cindy Farrar. If no one comes forward once the page is publicized, I may just have to ask Cyan about that one.

In any case, it's a wiki, so anyone can contribute to it. And, I'm open to hearing suggestions for it.
Tai'lahr

Re: Explorers Memorial

Post by Tai'lahr »

The wiki page is about 90-95 percent complete and I've embarked on a community wide search for assistance in completing these last few entries.

* I did my best on the three German explorers (Katzi, Perlenstern, Ramsine), but feel a German-speaking explorer could do better by them. What I have on each of these so far could be considered "adequate," but it's not as much as what I've gathered for other explorers, so I think it would be nice if their entries could be expanded upon.

* Jim "Dust'ei" Rhodes: So far, I've only found one reference for this one - a MOUL forum post by Alahmnat saying that he passed away on May 7, 2000 during the Rivenguild era.

* Cindy Farrar: I can't find a single Myst/Uru-related reference on this name.

If you know anything about either of these last two people - anything at all, no matter how insignificant it may seem to you, please post it. It just might be the crumb I need to find the right path to search for more.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

I can't comment on the last two, but I seem to recall that it was Veralun who announced Perlenstern's passing. V seemed to be in fairly close touch with the German community and regularly attended their conventions.

I looked at the page a little while back and felt that maybe each person warranted their own page (it'd also make maintaining the information easier). There's a way we can do that and still have a single page that shows all the information.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
Tai'lahr

Post by Tai'lahr »

It was actually Kai-Uwe, but Veralun is a great suggestion and I've just sent a PM to him, so thank you!

Why do you feel each name warrants a separate page? Can you elaborate? If all the information on each individual's page also shows up on the main page, then what is the purpose? Is it just a wiki formatting preference or are you thinking of how they're being honored and how people will want to see them?

I know how to set up new pages and have them linked to the names, but it sounds like you're suggesting a method that would update both places when one is changed. Is that right?

Doobes has told me that he may want to use the information for a Memorial Age he's working on and possibly even link to the page(s) from within the age, so that might be a good reason to do it that way. I'd like to get his input on it.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Well, Wikipedia will typically hold a bio page for each individual and it makes it easier to find information if there's a specific page to link to rather than buried somewhere down a page (even though you can link to sub-headings). I've also had problems in the past where very big pages simply fail when you try to save an edit.

Yes, what I have in mind is a kind of sub-page for each person and the sub-pages are called up by the main page so editing the sub-page automatically updates the main one. The process uses what Mediawiki calls "templates", although that doesn't give a very good idea of what they are. I'll show you offline ;)
Mac_Fife
Tai'lahr

Post by Tai'lahr »

Thank you for creating the template and for the training session in using it, Mac. It looks much better now, IMO. Have a look: Explorers Memorial.
Treehugger

Post by Treehugger »

That's great, Tai' - congratulations :)

Pedantic suggestion - shouldn't it be Explorers' Memorial? Ie with an apostrophe after the "s". :geek:

(Treehugger in Minkata)
Tai'lahr

Post by Tai'lahr »

Treehugger wrote:shouldn't it be Explorers' Memorial? Ie with an apostrophe after the "s". :geek:
Yes, that thought has crossed my mind more than once, but I decided to go with the way I most often see it written so that it would be easy to find. I wouldn't want anyone to get tripped up by missing an apostrophe when searching for it.

But, with Mac's mad coding skillz, maybe he can make it so that we can have a duplicate page with the correct punctuation that would auto-update when changes are made. Mac, is that feasible?

Thanks for checking it out and for the feedback!
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

I can probably "move" the page to the corrected title and leave a re-direct from the current title so people end up at the right page whichever name they use.

Edit: Done! :)
Mac_Fife
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

No need. Explorers Memorial is the correct usage.

http://www.va.gov/opa/vetsday/vetday_faq.asp
http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/educat ... apostrophe
Search "Veterans Memorial Park"
Perfect speed is being there.

Return to “Open Discussion”