JWPlatt

Re: Explorers Memorial

Post by JWPlatt »

Serves you all right for not checking with the Grammar Nazi first. Rollback. :P
Perfect speed is being there.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

OK, reverted but this time left with a re-direct from Explorers' Memorial to keep everyone happy. Or at least, mildly content. ;)
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
Tai'lahr

Post by Tai'lahr »

Well, that was entertaining. :lol:

Thanks to both of you. And, to Acorn for the suggestion. It's still a good one because some people may look for it that way.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Yeah but someone will still try the other option: Explorer's Memorial :P
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
Tai'lahr

Post by Tai'lahr »

Yeah, well, if they think only one explorer has been honored, then they don't deserve to find the page. :P
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Don't be tempted by the positive reinforcement of tolerating poor grammar.
Tai'lahr

Post by Tai'lahr »

Well, I feel the page is 98 percent complete, now. Veralun has promised to look into the German explorers, so I might get a bit more to add to their sections and RAWA gave me everything he had on Cindy Farrar and Dust'ei Rhodes which wasn't much, but I feel I can stop searching on those two, now. So, please have a look and let me know what you think, especially if you notice any glaring inaccuracies or inconsistencies.

Explorers Memorial

I'm planning to post it to the MOUL forum sometime this week and announce it at the next AGM, so I appreciate your feedback before the masses get to see it. Thanks!
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

This is another one of your wonderfully thoughtful and amazing contributions to the community. A real gift of remembrance. I don't notice anything glaring in the sense that you ask, but I didn't truly know anyone on the list except Zardoz (for whom I have not yet been able to write something that would do him the honor he deserves). I would ask if Jahuti's SL "wedding" and its circumstances are not something to include?

I will add one reservation that echos the same sentiments I expressed a long time ago on the MOULa forums when the Ae'gura Explorers Memorial began to include the deaths of both real people and fictional characters on the same display. Any decision here is not subject to my feelings of awkwardness about this, and I'm not demanding anything or telling anyone what to do, even on this website, but I've never felt the mix to be appropriate. It either oddly elevates fictional characters to the importance of real people, or diminishes real people by comparing them to a fictional existence. In MOULa, I wish it had been set up with a clear delineation that still made immersive sense, such as a DRC-funded memorial and a separate Explorer-funded memorial - or section. Granted, the DRC memorial would be quite empty, but it would have worked had the story continued with more of the same drama. A DRC memorial page here would look similarly unbalanced, but when considering the point of view of visitors unfamiliar with the story, I am concerned for our apparent sanity in the eyes of those visitors who might see us as confused about reality.
Tai'lahr

Post by Tai'lahr »

You are not alone in your feelings about mixing the fictional characters with the real people that many knew and cared about. I heard it from others as well. Yes, they deserve better, but the point of the wiki page is to be informative and to point out the differences between the two. (It grated on my nerves to have to write anything at all about the fictional ones, especially after Mac added the field with titles that would show up with or without information in them and I had to add "The D'ni Cavern" as their location.) But, imagine a newcomer to the cavern, seeing the memorial, seeking out the page to learn more and finding Wheely & Rose missing. Without any knowledge of the history, they might assume they were real people who were simply overlooked. I'm sure some will see this page as compounding the error they feel Cyan made, but, IMHO, it's righting the wrong by providing accurate information. This is a wiki page about a feature of the cavern as it was designed by Cyan and as it stands right now.

That said, I'll be more than happy to add something more to draw attention to the issue if you feel it's warranted. Perhaps a bit more history, including links to forum discussions about whether or not combining the two was appropriate?
JWPlatt wrote:I would ask if Jahuti's SL "wedding" and its circumstances are not something to include?
I considered that and even had a link to a thread about it ready to go, but felt it required a lot of thoughtfulness to word it just right, so it was set aside for now. Maybe I'll add it later. (In the meantime, I've added a direct link to SuperGram's MOUL forum post in which she covers that.)

Thank you for the feedback. It's greatly appreciated.

Return to “Open Discussion”