Privacy Policy

Discussions about administration, management, technology and development

Moderator: OpenUru.org Moderators

Mac_Fife

Privacy Policy

Post by Mac_Fife »

I populated the Privacy Policy page on the wiki earlier today (http://wiki.openuru.org/index.php?title ... acy_policy).

Given the recent rumpus over data retention on Facebook (e.g. Facebook 'withdraws' data changes), I feel we probably ought to add some text on account deletion, just in case.

Media wiki doesn't actually have a "delete account" facility - the argument was that having something like that had the potential to mess up the database integrity, since there's a whole history trail of edits that would need to be parsed and substitutions made, so I guess the best that can be offered is to anonymize the profile - change user name, remove e-mail addresses, etc. Any "signatures" in pages are simply text rather than pointers to database objects so those would remain.

phpBB is OK about deleting accounts, I don't know about Mantis. I'd like to keep the Privacy Policy page a generic resource for the whole site, so the wording needs to account for all variations.

I'm not especially worried that we'll have a user going off a huff and demanding we delete everything; it's just dotting i's and crossing t's. If we set out the policy early on, then we avoid the potential for problems later on if/when things take off :?:
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
JWPlatt

Re: Privacy Policy

Post by JWPlatt »

I noticed the work, thanks. It read through it and other changes and everything looks fine.

My POV on the Facebook issue is that it is an anecdote and a response to it specifically would be needlessly reactionary until there is a similar issue here. I'm not concerned except for Facebook's repeated ignorance (Beacon) about its own actions. If we responded to every hysteria, we would be without rights and freedom. I just read a case of trademark infringement (Jones Day v. Blockshopper - http://www.slate.com/id/2210636) for publishing links to another website. To follow its natural course, it would be illegal to publish links deeper than any website's home page, unless we use the full url in visible text, and we should all remove them now. It's ridiculous. So I prefer to take things with common sense precautions to everyday things, but leave the reactions to individual local concerns.

Thanks!
Perfect speed is being there.
ametist

Post by ametist »

@Mc_Fife: Thanks for that text - it's easy to read and understand, only I don't know what this is :
If you contribute to the SJTAG discussions
? I suggest you write out that with the capital letters still there ;). Maybe it's just me, being a 'not so geeky' person :D and not having english as my native language. I understand you mean something on the forum, but still ... ;)
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Bah! Cut'n'paste error! :oops: :oops: - I copied most of the text from another website I run and didn't change that bit!

Fixed now - should have said "OpenURU.org" instead of "SJTAG" (giving away my RL activities now...)

Thanks for pointing it out, Ametist :D
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler

Return to “Domain Development”