Hypergrid project: time to open up shop?

Discussions about administration, management, technology and development

Moderator: OpenUru.org Moderators

Dot

Hypergrid project: time to open up shop?

Post by Dot »

I was wondering whether it would be possible to start using various subprojects within the overall Hypergrid project.

While we might not have sorted out the finer details of the preamble posts, we are mostly there and could probably tweak them should it prove necessary through feedback and experience.

The subprojects I was thinking would fall into this category are:
  • Hypergrid & Second Life
  • Myst/Uru-Style Story
  • Modeling, Animation and Programming
  • Grid Hosting & Financial Resources
  • Client & Server Software
What does the team think?

(I have an ulterior motive in suggesting this: I would like to start using some of the resources for planning the next chapter of Devokan, which could involve at least three of the sections.)
JWPlatt

Re: Hypergrid project: time to open up shop?

Post by JWPlatt »

I'd feel better on holding any subforum where Drizzle-like issues are relevant until I get a chance to respond on that, but the rest are okay. That said, management of the entire project is up to you (so long as its legal - there's that issue again, oops), not me. So it's easy enough to turn things on at your request. As I said in the other thread on that in this forum, I'll get to the issue as soon as I can. I have a bit of life to catch up on after an entertaining weekend!
Perfect speed is being there.
Dot

Post by Dot »

Thanks, JW.

Some great things happening over on the DRC forum -- I've been enjoying reading them!

Back on topic: What about opening up the story, hosting, and client/server subprojects? I don't think they would rain on anyone's parade.
Nalates

Post by Nalates »

I would like to go ahead and open them.

If a Drizzle issue comes up, we can lock it until JWP has time to respond. For me it is more a being prepared rather than an immediate problem. If we do see an actual Drizzle subject, I think all links would have to be to GoW.

As far as I am concerned, until JWP writes what he considers legal, discussion of the copyright issues of Drizzle-like-copyright-problems is an on-hold-issue and we can say so and lock the thread, leave it public, note why its locked, and that we will unlock it when we have the issue resolved. We temp ban the impatient... oh wait... that might be me... :lol:

While I would like to open the sections, there is no big push from me. I do have stuff I want to post. I would like to get Jandai and Taimaru in the conversations... I hope they will participate. Crux Isle is fun and that they have a FCAL for it (SL specific) is of great interest to me.
Nalates
GoW, GoMa and GoA apprentice - Guildmaster GoC - SL = Nalates Urriah
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Restored post: Administration & Management • Re: Hypergrid project: time to open up shop?
Feed 9.2.2010 um 10:58 Mac_Fife

Dot wrote:Some great things happening over on the DRC forum -- I've been enjoying reading them!
Now you know why some of us haven't been giving OpenURU.org our full attention lately ;)
Dot wrote:Back on topic: What about opening up the story, hosting, and client/server subprojects? I don't think they would rain on anyone's parade.
I'd agree. Aside from JWPlatt's legitimate concerns over Drizzle-like issues, I'd say only the World's Index need remain hidden.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
Dot

Post by Dot »

Restored post: Administration & Management • Re: Hypergrid project: time to open up shop?
Feed 9.2.2010 um 17:16 Dot

I was thinking we'd do that.
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Feed 9.2.2010 um 19:47 JWPlatt

Ok, I took 15 seconds to compare the names and they match. I have to pay for the weekend and Monday's activities by concentrating on my other commitments, so my answer on the Drizzle issue is going to have to wait for a little bit more. But when I see each of the new forums has its preamble, I'll assume it's ready and set it visible.

Thanks folks!
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Feed 10.2.2010 um 05:29 JWPlatt

Hi folks,

I want to make sure I'm not missing anything or causing a delay (except for the content issue). I see one new Nalates post that looks like a preamble but it doesn't resembled what was discussed, so maybe it's just a new post. Just in case, maybe you should let me know when to open something here in case I miss the obvious.

Of course, if you're - ahem - busy elsewhere, go for it. :D
Dot

Post by Dot »

Feed 10.2.2010 um 08:09 Dot

Busy elsewhere? If only ... ;)

Nalates, would you like to do the official preamble posts? Or would you like me to copy them across? If we include a link to the original discussion threads, then people could add comments to them, and we could revise the preambles as necessary.
Nalates

Post by Nalates »

Feed 10.2.2010 um 16:52 Nalates

Lets get them open.

I do not need to do all the preambles. I did them to get things moving not because I wanted my name on them. Dot, please go for whatever you feel works. I put out my ideas and thoughts and expected feedback and changes. It's ok with me if they need to change and or expand.

Links to the discussions about the preambles are a good idea. Over time we may find we need to change these first tries and adjust ideas. So, to me it's not like it is being put in stone.

The only section I think we have any question about is the Hypergrid one where I asked about copyright problems and where we should stop discussion. In the OP here I suggest a working rule until JWP gives us his thoughts on where to draw the line. The question about Tai'lahr's list remains but after answering her PM I have not heard back. I'm assuming she is spelunking.

We are obviously running into those copyright (file copy) issues now with the MOULagain downloads. This morning I am putting another link to the MOUL forum rather than a link to the files. So, until we have defined limits I'm using that as a work around. If Cyan/RAWA leaves it up... I don't feel too far off base.

So... let's open them and make changes as needed. I think changes are mostly wording and clarification. The main ideas seem ok.
Nalates
GoW, GoMa and GoA apprentice - Guildmaster GoC - SL = Nalates Urriah

Return to “Domain Development”