Site Integration

Discussions about administration, management, technology and development

Moderator: OpenUru.org Moderators

JWPlatt

Re: Site Integration

Post by JWPlatt »

The site navigation menu as it currently stands (no drop-downs yet) has been implemented on the home page. Links from it currently take you through Mac's "wikiCMS" to website pages that extract their content from actual wiki pages. This will evolve into drop-down menus and other page content.

This site navigation will be integrated into each resource (forums, wiki, mantis, JIRA, Wordpress) when and where possible.

Please take a look. Comments?
Perfect speed is being there.
Nalates

Post by Nalates »

Nice art and color. Seems rational too...
Nalates
GoW, GoMa and GoA apprentice - Guildmaster GoC - SL = Nalates Urriah
rarified

Post by rarified »

Nalates wrote:Nice art and color. Seems rational too...
My first impression too, although I get a feeling somethings missing. Can't pin it down yet, head stuck in work-mode right now...

_R
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Quite possible but it may be intentional ;)

For now, the sub-menus (i.e. the pages the menu bar leads you to) are a "quick hack" just to make something functional, and I know I've so far omitted to add any of the Foundry stuff to the Development page. It's down to JW to call what he wants where, but the thing to keep in mind is that there's a little water to flow under the bridge before we can pin it all down.

Sub-menus aside, I'm keen to find out of the general masthead "works" for people.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
rarified

Post by rarified »

Mac_Fife wrote:Sub-menus aside, I'm keen to find out of the general masthead "works" for people.
Stylistically I like it. :mrgreen:

_R
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Nalates wrote:...ummmm, I missed a turn. What's the btw WordPress... comment?
Sorry, it was an incomplete sentence. I was referring to other resources which need to have site nav integrated into them.
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Status Report On Site Integration

Ok, I gave it a year, so I think we're ahead of schedule. Awesome. What do you think of the site navigation and how it is, so far, tied in with the website itself and these forums?

1. Drop-down menu header that floats above all resource mastheads (phpBB, MediaWiki, Wordpess, etc)

Mac_Fife is responsible for the new site nav and forum integration. Site nav is integrated with his "wikiCMS" here at OpenUru.org which takes website page content directly from the wiki. It's a real treat to have the wiki serve multiple purposes. It fits right in with our desire to see projects use multiple resources to accomplish things. We hope you like v.1, so far on website pages and these forums.

2. CMS, whether home-grown or fully-fledged open source CMS, to support projects which want a subdomain on OpenUru.org.

It's home grown, as described in #1. This is Mac_Fife's fine work again.

3. Integrated repository.

I have obtained unlimited user licenses for the enterprise class Atlassian JIRA software and associated tools. rarified has done the hard work of implementing these tools on his own "Foundry" server. It appears as an OpenUru.org subdomain by using DNS CNAME. Just today, besides doing some intensive support, rarified put FishEye up for a test and I can browse our site nav and wikiCMS work in the repository.

We put Google Analytics into site nav while we were at it. That should make Nalates happy.

This is great progress toward a useful and navigable website offering resources and tools for open source projects. We're just getting started and there's lots more to do, but I think we've made a great start on reaching the goals. Nice! Work will continue on spinning up the JIRA tools, spreading site nav out to as many of the resources as possible, and general refinements as we enter the nit-picking phase. ;)

Have fun,

JW

P.S. A couple of new edit box features are available:
strikethrough
border
T_S_Kimball

Post by T_S_Kimball »

Since you mentioned SVN, take a look at TRAC: http://trac.edgewall.org/

We use this at work on the master SVN system. I've got mixed feelings about it, but only because I don't know where (or how) it's configured. :P

If you already have full access to Jira, than you're probably OK anyway.
Timothy S. Kimball - www.sungak.net
SL - Alan Kiesler (retired) || Eve Online - Alain Kinsella
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Thanks for the pointer, T_S_Kimball!

And now please enjoy our latest addition to the site navigation. The wiki now supports our site masthead and the menu bar using the new Vector skin with the UsabilityInitiative extension. Thanks to Mac_Fife once again for moving things along!
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Well, despite JW's plaudits there is a bit of glitch in the wiki "skin" that seems to only be apparent in IE8 and another that's only evident in IE7. I know what's causing the IE7 problem so that'll be fixed shortly, but the IE8 one is a bit more confusing. However, both are only cosmetic and have no effect on usability (and most people probably won't even notice them).
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler

Return to “Domain Development”