Site Navigation

Discussions about administration, management, technology and development

Moderator: OpenUru.org Moderators

JWPlatt

Site Navigation

Post by JWPlatt »

I'm breaking this out of site integration for specific comments about finding things through the navigation menu and pages.

First up, the Development menu and Foundry is quite important.

rarified is thinking about deemphasizing the tools a bit and just take a user to the right spot. Users choose a link to the .../svn URL (or .../hg) to go to Fisheye without further ado as the source browser. And a front page to have some simple links to the tools.

That's a good way to list resources.

In the meantime, I would like to also make a "Tools" list on this website's Development menu page to promote the tools while making them easy to find.

rarified, if you could list out what is anticipated, with links, that would be great. Then we could make the entries into navigation.
Perfect speed is being there.
rarified

Re: Site Navigation

Post by rarified »

I havn't had time to give this any serious thought, but here's a couple of directions the web page(s) at the foundry could look like:

Code: Select all

Front Page

* Projects available at the Foundry
        * Project A
        * Project B

* Tools at the Foundry
        * Source Browsers
             * Subversion
             * Mercurial
        * Bug Reporting
             * JIRA
             * Mantis
        * Build Automation
             * Hudson
Then, perhaps at a set of pages under http://foundry.openuru.org/projects (one per page, the target of the project links above) we invert the emphasis and add a bit:

Code: Select all

Project A Homepage

* [status of last Hudson build if under Hudson processing]
        * [click here to download the build results]
        * [click here to download the source for this build]

* [Last repository commit action (comment, who, when)]

* Source browser
    * Bug reporting
    * Project planning
    * [contact the project owner mailto: link]
This would all be gated behind a foundry login (guests OK with some friction for SPAMbots).

Of course, I havn't thought at all how a project owner can control which if any of these they wish to make available. But I wanted to throw the idea out.

_R
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

The Development page on our site navigation menu still needs work. We'll be doing something with it soon.

rarified, your point of view was on the Foundry side of things, but we need to make sense of it from the site navigation menu Development page too. How do we best combine that with what you want to do on any new Foundry pages? Your suggestions apply equally well to both. Do you have a set of links planned yet?
Perfect speed is being there.
rarified

Post by rarified »

I havn't had time to give much thought to the development page, but the I have been getting a clearer picture of where I want ingress to the foundry. I'll try to list those when I'm pretty sure they're the final configuration.

_R
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.

Return to “Domain Development”