Calendar Resource

Discussions about administration, management, technology and development

Moderator: OpenUru.org Moderators

JWPlatt

Calendar Resource

Post by JWPlatt »

There has been a request for a calendar resource.

The current suggestion is to use WebCalendar: http://www.k5n.us/webcalendar.php

At first glance, it is multiuser (single instance install) and does appear to support individuals, groups and community well. Community use is important, but so is being able to see just one person or one group's calendar.

It's possible we already have a calendar somewhere around here, such as on Foundry or as part of our blogs resource (Wordpress). Ideas? Alternatives?
Perfect speed is being there.
Mac_Fife

Re: Calendar Resource

Post by Mac_Fife »

If there's a calendar feature in Wordpress I doubt if it would have the kind of flexibility we'd be looking for. I came across that k5n webcalendar myself recently, but didn't give it a particularly thorough look over. The fact that you seem to be able to have almost any number of views configured looks like a good feature, especially since you seem to be able to get views that consolidate the individual calendars of groups of people.

I don't immediately see anything that allows you to pre-sort people into groups for easy selection, though: It looks like you need to add individuals to your view.

Seems to set cookies so that your last view is saved, but it also looks like you can force a particular view to be shown by giving the URL a parameter, e.g. .../view_t.php?id=237 - That's good because a group can provide a link to the specific view they'd prefer people to see first.

What makes me a little wary is the last update being dated 8/14/2010 when there had previously been updates every 6 months or less.

Ah! I think I just found the killer - You need to be logged in to be able to view anything :(
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler

Return to “Domain Development”