Forum Updates

Forum Resource Management & Use (Policy, How To Post)

Moderators: OpenUru.org Moderators, Domain Managers

admin
Site Admin

Forum Updates

Post by admin »

phpBB has been updated to 3.0.5, including language packs and, most time-consuming, the Anti-Spam Question registration MOD which produces exceptions during Automatic Update.
Mac_Fife

Re: Updates

Post by Mac_Fife »

Yeah,... My ploy here would be to reinstate the pre-mod versions of the affected files, run the auto update and then re-apply the mod. The mod doesn't take that long to apply and updates at the 3.0.x level aren't going to be changing the database schema, so you don't have to undo/redo the sql bits.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

phpBB has been updated to 3.0.6, including language packs. Happily, there were no conflicts this time around. Please post here with any anomalies.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Two things, Mr Admin:

For new registrants, the Visual Confirmation has defaulted back to the "old" phpBB3 Captcha that we know is weak. 3.0.6 includes new plug-in captchas one of which (Q&A Captcha) is a more sophisticated version of the Anti-Spam Question Mod we were using in the previous version. It needs to be configured in the ACP before it can be activated (General -> Board Configuration -> CAPTCHA Module Settings).

3.0.6 includes a News Feed generator which I'm sure many would find useful, but this is not currently active. Again, it needs to be configured in the ACP (General -> Board Configuration -> Feed Settings).
Mac_Fife
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It's the result of a quick (read: no time to do more than necessary before Christmas) upgrade. The Anti-Bot Question is still active. I'll get the Q&A Captcha plug-in installed soon. It's about time they got around to official support of such an effective tool. Same story on feeds. I was happy to see it. That'll be soon too.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Q&A Captcha and news feeds are enabled. Please advise on any useful feed tweaks - currently set to 5 at the forum level.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

May need to check whether any "private" project forums need to be listed on the feed exclusions. That was a problem I had in finding a suitable News Feed mod for previous versions of phpBB, and it looks like phpBB 3.0.6 fell foul of this too as the issue has been addressed in SVN revisions r10317, r10318.
Mac_Fife
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

The phpBB updates have been fast and furious lately. That's not exactly a sign of stable code, but I'll be doing an update while I have the time. It'll be today sometime. Maybe soon.
Perfect speed is being there.
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

The phpBB update will begin shortly. Finish your posts, or save your work, just in case the site goes inactive on you.
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Update complete. There is some new News Feed behavior. It will be interesting to see if Christian likes it any better. ;)

Return to “Forums (phpBB)”