Forum Updates

Forum Resource Management & Use (Policy, How To Post)

Moderators: OpenUru.org Moderators, Domain Managers

admin
Site Admin

Re: Updates

Post by admin »

There will be an attempt tonight, soon to update the forum software to latest.

If the forum is down, that's why.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Due to the complexity of this upgrade and need for a full test first, this will be delayed, but hopefully it will still happen soon...
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Cyan soon?
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Volunteer soon. Though we do try to emulate Cyan's build system.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The update is coming, probably Friday afternoon or evening.

This was a tough upgrade to migrate. The banner will look a bit different, and there have been some cosmetic changes to phpBB along with the requisite feature list. A couple of nice things Mac_Fife did with the banner and look of the pages will not be ported over - at least not right away - because of the changes. If something breaks in your browser, please let us know here.

Hope to see you after the upgrade.

Dr. McCoy said it best:

Engineers love to change things.

You can see all the highlights of various phpBB 3.1.x releases here:
https://wiki.phpbb.com/Category:Release_Highlights
janaba

Post by janaba »

Wonderful!!! ... Besides, non-engineers also love change, but sometimes they need engineers to bring this about ... :P

Your whole post so much reflects what was/is happening everywhere, also or esp. on the 'inner planes' right now ... very nice (reflection/synchronicity) ... :)

However, yeah, so, bring it all down and bring it up again ... the New ... :D
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

...and we're back. Some things are a little different. Explore. Enjoy.

phpBB upgraded to 3.1.3
PHP upgraded to 5.4.

Some little things might need adjustment. Some things were - or were not - done for simplicity going forward. A significant new feature with phpBB 3.1 is extensions. One such extension, still a work in progress, is the site navigation bar under the banner which has replaced a bunch of custom code.

Edit: Almost forgot - phpBB 3.1 is "responsive" for mobile devices.
janaba

Post by janaba »

That was fast!!! ... I've been looking around for a while now and everything seems to work properly and looks very tidy and clean ... :P

Can it be that the OU Team has reorganized and rearranged the forums sections? ... other than that I like the 'Quick links' and the whole navigation bar, but I have to admit that I do not really remember very well how most of everything looked before anymore, means esp. the Dev/Community/Wiki and About departments, though I believe there hasn't changed a lot ...

Ahhh, and last but not least, of course I love the lovely 'Mini_Blink3.gif' (to not spoil it immediately) moving and crawling about every now and again ... :mrgreen:

Yeah, I'd say, Congratulations! ... Awesome job, esp. as most of the workload and effort that went into all of it most of us won't recognize immediately if at all ... I wish our OpenUru Team a well-deserved relaxing weekend and exciting time further on ... /wave ... :D
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

I don't think there's any reorganisation but the slightly different appearance may make it seem that way. Some things are still being tweaked - little things - most will be barely noticeable to most people.

Mini, the baby Squee, has been present on some of the web pages ever since CWE was released into open source, but she was very shy. She started being a bit more overt a few months ago.
I don't have the details to hand, but we found Mini as an original work on DeviantArt and the artist graciously granted OU an exclusive license to use Mini.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
charura

Post by charura »

I hope I'm posting this in the proper area. After this update I'm no longer able to 'view new posts' as I was able to do previously. It's not a big thing but I have to scroll down through all the topics to find the latest post, as I did to find this. Is this one of the things that are still waiting to be fixed?

Return to “Forums (phpBB)”