Forum Updates

Forum Resource Management & Use (Policy, How To Post)

Moderators: OpenUru.org Moderators, Domain Managers

JWPlatt

Re: Forum Updates

Post by JWPlatt »

I owe the forums an update to 3.1.5. When I do that, I'll take another look around for an easy solution. Easy usually = extension.
Perfect speed is being there.
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

By the way, if you're desperate, disable Javascript in your browser to enable mouse OnHover dropdown of the QuickLinks menu.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

JWPlatt wrote:Easy usually = extension.
I doubt if you'll find an extension for it - it's a feature of the style not the core phpBB.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
rarified

Post by rarified »

+1
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
Tai'lahr

Post by Tai'lahr »

Is this the place for requests/complaints? I've recently been using the Save Draft feature on the MOUL forums and it's been uber convenient for organizing lengthy posts (and you know how much I love to write lengthy posts), but on this forum, there's no Preview to see what the post will look like (gotta check those links) which is uber inconvenient. Maybe I'm just not seeing it, but all I see are Reset & Save buttons.

Why does the spell-checker flag uber, but not gotta?
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Immediately below the message text entry box and slightly to right of center should appear "Save draft," "Preview," and "Submit" buttons. I don't see "Reset" or "Save." Just in case the forum style has anything to do with it, I've set your forum style from prosilver to openuru. But the forums are already set to override with openuru anyway and the account setting shouldn't be necessary.

These buttons should appear:
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Tai is referring to the buttons that show in UCP -> Manage Drafts -> View/Edit. She's right, there's no Preview and it's very unintuitive about how you go from reviewing the draft to actually posting it.
Mac_Fife
Christian Walther

Post by Christian Walther »

Tai'lahr wrote:Why does the spell-checker flag uber, but not gotta?
Because the proper spelling is über. :P (Actually, my New Oxford American Dictionary has it as both uber and über, although as a German speaker I’m always slightly irked or amused when I see it spelled with a u, because ü and u are totally different sounds. (Pondering now why I don’t have that problem with Zürich and Zurich, maybe because the vowel is shorter there?))
Tai'lahr

Post by Tai'lahr »

Sorry, I should have been more clear that it was the Manage Drafts in the User Control panel. If there wasn't a Preview option for the actual forums, I probably wouldn't be posting here. ;)

Christian, thank you for the über lesson. :) But, I was more surprised about it not picking up "gotta" - I guess the word is mainstream, now.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

In answer to Tai's original comment, it seems you're doing it wrong ;)
The proper procedure is to go back to the thread you were responding to and start a reply. You then get a button that allows you to load a saved draft. Once you've selected the draft, you're back in a regular post window with a Preview button.
If you saved a draft of a new topic, then you need to start a new topic again then load the draft (there's a subtle difference between a thread starting post and a reply, so phpBB seems not to allow a draft of one type to transform into the other).
Mac_Fife

Return to “Forums (phpBB)”