Forum Cleanup

Forum Resource Management & Use (Policy, How To Post)

Moderators: OpenUru.org Moderators, Domain Managers

JWPlatt

Forum Cleanup

Post by JWPlatt »

With the addition of the Guild of Healers forums, I'd like to clean up the structure a bit. Some of the Community Section is quite inactive, but I don't want to be unilateral about it. We might want a defined process whereby existing Community Forums are considered inactive and should be archived. There should, for example, be notification of leaders to get their intent or understanding and some period of time between such states of existence. Of course, archives can be unarchived at any time if the old or new leaders are found to be interested.

For now, I see as inactive the following Community Forums:
David's Journey
OSCAR
Community Nexus
Write's Club (too bad because I really would rather it get used)
Standards For Discussion & Debate

Also, Mac_Fife proposed cleanup of the Infrastructure Projects section some while back. I'll have to find those posts. Most of what's there now has already been folded into Foundry operations.
Perfect speed is being there.
janaba

Re: Forum Cleanup

Post by janaba »

This is a great idea, JWPlatt ... I love cleanups, besides that cleanups are always good every now and then ... :D

The special forums/subforums you've mentioned, JW, aren't frequented anymore and weren't used very actively
before, so those seem like good candidates to be put on hold into the archives in case more interest would be
shown in the future, unless those people would express explicitly their intent for their projects to be completely
removed which would be even better (in case of lost interest) ...
Maybe they should even be contacted and asked directly about it ... :P

The 'Open Uru Infrastructure Projects', which is a whole forums section, looks like addressing projects which
have become obsolete as of relating to pre-CWE/OpenSource subjects and topics or as you've said this, JWPlatt:
"Most of what's there now has already been folded into Foundry operations" ...

The 'Myst/Uru-Style Hypergrid & Open Simulators' forums in the above could be moved into the 'Open Uru Creative
& Community Projects
' section, though I'd ask Nalates and Dot about it, if they really like to keep that up here as it
was last joined in March 2011 and particularly in view of the fact that for a long time Dot and the Devokan explorers
and builders are posting their progress and ongoing story on the MOUL forums and their own Devokan foundation ... :)

The rest of the forums sections and topics are very specific and technical, so you all have to reassess their need
and practical usefulness ... :D
Dot

Post by Dot »

The Myst/Uru hypergrid and OpenSimulators forum was originally placed in the Infrastructure forum because it involves running servers (besides story-telling and "age" building).

From my point of view I'm happy for it to be archived wherever the forum admins think most appropriate.

Let's see what Nal thinks, too.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

System Concepts (with myself, Dot and walts as managers) was about trying to pre-plan for an Open Source Uru. It seems to me that the section became pretty much redundant with the release of MOSS and CWE and it hasn't been used in over two years. It's still useful to refer to now and again, but I don't see it as an "active" forum section.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Double posting :roll: ...

Here's a suggestion (not really a "cleanup" though):
Move the HowTo: Post New Topics - Forum and Project Membership thread into a section of it's own, titled "How to Post on the Forums" so it's big and clear on the front page of the forum menu. Having it mentioned in the description of the General Information section just doesn't seem to be prominent enough. And amend the thread title too - the "Post New Topics" wording goes back to an earlier condition which no longer applies and may be confusing.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
ghaelen

Post by ghaelen »

I am giggling at the thought that the arrival of our little group would spur housecleaning -- I ought to invite the GoH to my house on the surface...

The only one of the forums you mentioned that I would be sad to see archived is the Writer's Club. I feel the same way you do. I would use it, except that what I have to talk about is mostly behind-the-scenes testing or discussion about the story itself. Is it possible for that forum to be un-archived if the situation changed and people wanted to use it again?
".... those things that are conceived in compassion are going to work....
.... those things that are conceived in unity are going to work...."

~Ancient Healer (maybe D'ni)

Moula3.2 KI #64299
OU Minkata KI #1504
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

It's possible for any of them to be unarchived so long as someone makes a commitment to be responsible for its promotion and management, and it is reasonably active.
Trekluver

Post by Trekluver »

Why is it I always miss the "cool" topics on OpenUru? :lol:

I agree with Mac; the topic detailing how to post is in a weird spot to begin with, so it would be a very welcome change.

Everything else JW suggested would be better off being archived, except for the Writers Club forum. The same thing that happened when Cyan tried to close the Creativity forum on the Myst Online forums could very well happen here. (It's highly unlikely, but still.) Besides, who knows when someone in the future may want to use it? ;)
TOC#60089 DI#132103 MOULa is Image
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

I got a chance to find Mac's post that I was remembering (what has/hasn't changed?):
Mac_Fife wrote:I'm just wondering if the Building & Testing forum has maybe become a bit obsolete in light of some of the newer forum sections? There are only a handful of threads there, that I think could easily be moved to more "current" forums.

Edit: In fact, I'd suggest that the whole "Open Uru Infrastructure Projects" section is a bit redundant - I'd probably want to move OpenUru into the OpenUru.org section, and System Concepts and Myst/Uru-Style Hypergrid & Open Simulators into the "Open Uru Creative & Community Projects" section ("Community Projects" seems adequately all-encompassing to allow that).
viewtopic.php?p=4456#p4456
Mac_Fife wrote:Move the HowTo: Post New Topics - Forum and Project Membership thread into a section of it's own, titled "How to Post on the Forums" so it's big and clear on the front page of the forum menu.
Whoa. Global Announcements Gone Wild! Okay. It's always been an issue; never quite obvious enough. Where in the main index would you like it? As you may have noticed, I'm trying it at the top right now. Categories can only have forums - not threads. So I had to make it a forum and the thread is within it - and still a global announcement in all the other forums. Even Mr. Magoo should see it, unless he's a Bot or a Guest. The forum at the top of the index page will not appear to Bots or Guests.
Hoikas

Post by Hoikas »

The new forum claims that it has zero posts, yet it is highlighted with the "hey, there's something new here" icon.

Return to “Forums (phpBB)”