Bad Theme on Mobile

Forum Resource Management & Use (Policy, How To Post)

Moderators: OpenUru.org Moderators, Domain Managers

Hoikas

Bad Theme on Mobile

Post by Hoikas »

I recently upgraded my human specifications and got a new fancy android device. I noticed that the theme on basically every forum ever looks terrible on mobile (to the point of being hard to use).

I decided to add Tapatalk support to the GoW forum (it was very easy with automod). I'd suggest you guys do the same, assuming there are other people actually using a mobile browser to access this site.
Mac_Fife

Re: Bad Theme on Mobile

Post by Mac_Fife »

Interesting, thanks Hoikas. As someone who's personally "smart phone averse" it's not something I've looked into, so I wouldn't have any idea of what any website looks like on a mobile device :lol: . What a Luddite, eh?

Is it possible you could capture a shot of how the improvement looks on the GoW forums?

So, is there a demand here to provide support for mobile devices?
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

The need for mobile support has been kicked around phpBB for a while now. There was initial resistance, which is not a good sign if you want to be a progressive project, but now they appear to have accepted it.
phpBB is in the process of creating either a mobile style or making the style responsive. This will be happening in a major phpBB release (most likely 3.2).
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... #p13187700

There's no telling when 3.2 would happen, but I prefer a supported solution to an add-on to avoid the recurring maintenance item. And whether it would be used is also a very good question.
Perfect speed is being there.
Hoikas

Post by Hoikas »

Mac_Fife wrote:Interesting, thanks Hoikas. As someone who's personally "smart phone averse" it's not something I've looked into, so I wouldn't have any idea of what any website looks like on a mobile device :lol: . What a Luddite, eh?

Is it possible you could capture a shot of how the improvement looks on the GoW forums?
I was kind of adverse to them as well... until I made my dad get a nexus 7 (he kept whining about wanting to use some of my old broken down laptops...) -- then I realized that I liked it myself :P

Tapatalk is actually its own client with an interface optimized for mobile. It costs $2 in the play store (well worth it, IMO) and has versions for BB and iOS as well. The following screenshots are form my device. The silly black bar with one button is a result of HTC not following google's rules for android 4.x (HTC used hardware buttons, which are now a no-no)

Screenshots I remember that when we first started the GoW forum (in 2007), we used either a very late phpBB release-candidate or phpBB 3.0.0 itself. Given that it has been 5 full years since then, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for phpBB 3.2.
Mystler

Post by Mystler »

I tried Tapatalk with the GoW forums a few days ago and I really came to like it. I would appreciate to see OU support it, too.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Thanks again Hoikas, for those images.

There are one or two things still niggling me - I'll need to take a closer look a little later when I can make some time.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler

Return to “Forums (phpBB)”