Visual effects: linking avatars and Linking Books

Community, Project, and Forum Suggestions

Moderator: OpenUru.org Moderators

75th Trombone

Visual effects: linking avatars and Linking Books

Post by 75th Trombone »

I would like to nominate myself as the director and head slave driver of the following additions to Uru once the source is released, which I have been rabid about since 2002:
  • * Moving linking panels on Linking Books.
    * A visual particle effect on linking avatars.
Now unfortunately, I am not a programmer. However, I have been obsessed with these two features for more than half a decade, and I have very particular ideas of how they could/should be pulled off. So if you ARE the right kind of programmer and are even a quarter as enthused about these features as I am, I would be happy to take partial credit for all your work^w^w^w^w^w^w^w^w^w help with them in any way I can.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Visual effects: linking avatars and Linking Books

Post by admin »

Ideas are good. Even if you can't implement them yourself, you might have willing friends who can.

If you can gather capable hands, please submit an application for project space.

How? Good question. Details to come, but an application may include at least a viable project plan, project subdomain name (e.g. Trombone.OpenUru.org), proposed home page, forum specs (title, membership type, etc), and of course, reading the rules (also to come).
realXCV

Post by realXCV »

Moving like they do in Myst (1-5) or like they should do (canon) ?
Braggi

Post by Braggi »

Hi 75th.

You might also want to poke around and bend the ear of Andylegate over the Maintainers. IIRC, there is a post there where someone had cooked up a flyby of Teledahn for the linking panel of the book. Don't think it was ever implemented, but it was described as definitely do-able.
GregW11

Post by GregW11 »

I think the particles would be somewhere between those seen with Atrus when he links back to Myst in Myst I and those with Saavedro at the start of Myst III. Is that what you were thinking along the lines of?
Dot

Post by Dot »

Yes, animated linking panels are already possible. Andy posted about it in the Guild of Writers forum here: http://forum.guildofwriters.com/viewtopic.php?p=27377
zib_redlektab

Post by zib_redlektab »

realXCV wrote:Moving like they do in Myst (1-5) or like they should do (canon) ?
Out of curiosity, how does the canon style differ from the already-seen?
realXCV

Post by realXCV »

zib_redlektab wrote:
realXCV wrote:Moving like they do in Myst (1-5) or like they should do (canon) ?
Out of curiosity, how does the canon style differ from the already-seen?
One is a big fly-by, the other is what happen at the linking point in realtime.
zib_redlektab

Post by zib_redlektab »

In that case, I think we're definitely going to have to settle for Myst-style panels. At least for the short term, I think that realtime panels are going to be very difficult.

However, I would totally get behind a particle system or something for the linking effect, not that that means anything since I have no programming skills whatsoever, but this project has my moral support! :D
realXCV

Post by realXCV »

zib_redlektab wrote:I think that realtime panels are going to be very difficult.
Not really. But the renderring will probably have to be done by the server then sent to the player. That will increase the bandwidth usage (with more lag).

Return to “Suggestions”