Instancing: A wiki experiment.

Community, Project, and Forum Suggestions

Moderator: OpenUru.org Moderators

75th Trombone

Instancing: A wiki experiment.

Post by 75th Trombone »

On the wiki, I've thrown up my bare-bones instancing plan for Uru.

As that page says, my goal was not to hunker down in solitude and emerge weeks later with a final finished scheme that accommodates every possibility. My goal was to create the bare minimum number of rules that might possibly suffice, and for any objections to be made quickly, by anyone, on that very same wiki page.

So read my plan. Come up with some pithy reasons why it can't work. Add them to the Objections section of that page, and let's hash them out, adding to the plan only when absolutely necessary.

Hopefully, when we're done, we'll have a good, minimalistic plan that will be possible for newbies to understand.
Marten

Re: Instancing: A wiki experiment.

Post by Marten »

I'll bite.

My questions will go onto the discussion page because I don't quite understand the exceptions/objections thing - there are no exceptions listed, and the objections part seems to suggest I can only object to exceptions.
The music is reversible, but time is not.
realXCV

Post by realXCV »

I think he wants you to add your objections in that section of the page.
Marten

Post by Marten »

Well, he can move my comments from discussion to the page in the layout he intends; right now, I'm not certain exactly how he wants it formatted. :)
The music is reversible, but time is not.
75th Trombone

Re: Instancing: A wiki tutorial/primer

Post by 75th Trombone »

Yes, I've been a bit stupid.

So I'm going to redefine that page's purpose: Let's do what I said we'd do, but let's consider it a primer for people (like me) needing to fully wrap their heads around the implications of the instancing system and interface.
MustardJeep

Post by MustardJeep »

Posted to the wiki what I think is a rather pithy response. :D

What I am saying here is a more general thing to catch a bit more interest to this topic I hope......

As long as people can make their own private hoods the instancing problem will never be solved because new instances are a click away. One of the biggest ways to re concentrate the populations of Uru is to force low population hoods to share hood instances of the main city. As a preemptive strike; Yeah it has never been done, it shouldn't be done, can't be done, in UU people with low end machines still played by going to their hood instance to survive, but guess what I was a loner in D'mala on a low end machine existing mostly in private instances only going public when the populations were rock bottom low.

If you could dynamically lump hoods together >10 >20 and so on as groups sharing a hood instance of the city you would go a long way to making Uru be a MMO. It's a tough life for a loner but it makes for a much more populated world, something Uru barely ever managed before episode weeks concentrated people up to the point of maxing out areas.

Pushing the instances wider labeling sections as private is a fast track to a very empty game, and considering Uru right now is dead, and when ever it opens will have a limited player base; your asking for a repeat of Until Uru. The traditional way all other games tend to deal with separating out large maps is to use "airlocks" like those found in Garrison. A simple door and your out of one area and in another. As far as the game is concerned there is very little difference between going to another Age and going from outside to inside the garrison two building. It's a well known fact that all game designers know the Time Lord secret to making the insides larger then the outsides, just do some creative naming in the KI and most people will rationalize the chat window only showing the chat from in the building for you.

Return to “Suggestions”