Open Uru Forum Logo

Community, Project, and Forum Suggestions

Moderator: OpenUru.org Moderators

Szark

Re: Open Uru Forum Logo

Post by Szark »

I have been pondering on this for a while. This what I came up with a few weeks back.
Then I read the brief on the previous page.
admin wrote:I'm thinking something simple with curvey latters, two colors, and a place to integrate words for site locations such as "Forums," "Wiki," etc. - the way you did with "Forums."

But for now, it is the policy of this site to not use any Cyan Worlds assets (artwork, etc) in its look and feel unless and until it applies for and receives license to use them. So while I'd really appreciate a good logo right now, our logo will not use any Cyan Worlds images. Sorry!
JWPlatt wrote:Generally, any logo should follow these rules:

- Be within 16:9 (w:h) ratio, no wider, but no taller than square
- Two color, as if using for less expensive letterhead
- Incorporate transparent background for use on various domain pages - forums, wiki, bug tracker, project management, etc
- Should appear equally well on black or white background, or most any background except the two colors used
- OpenURU.org should appear as it is written, including the ".org", without breaking it up.
- Leave an integrated space for domain page location: i.e. "Forums", "Wiki", "Bugs", but such that its omission for a pure logo would not look odd.
I then came up with this.
Image Not sure on the colours but you get the idea. I know the shadow gets lost on a black background (I checked) but to my eyes it still looks ok.
I am still in draft mode and haven't spent much time on it. As I said before I am learning but by doing I even learn more. Even if I create a spark for the final logo, I will be happy.
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Those are gorgeous, though I like the first one better because it's more compact to fit the format closer. I love the hang tag idea. I think just the key is enough to say what you want, without the lock, though it dominates over the identity of "OpenURU." The purple on the second one gives it a girlie flavor. ;)

Thinking about my ".org" rule - not that this has anything to do with your logos, Szark - I think it's okay to give the ".org" a different orientation if necessary, but just so it follows OpenURU. It could be hanging on a hinge, at an angle, or even on the next line somehow. Heh, the period could be the hinge pin. Just rambling now...
Perfect speed is being there.
Szark

Post by Szark »

JWPlatt wrote:Those are gorgeous, though I like the first one better because it's more compact to fit the format closer. I love the hang tag idea....
I think just the key is enough to say what you want, without the lock, though it dominates over the identity of "OpenURU." The purple on the second one gives it a girlie flavor. ;)...[/quote]Girlie are you calling......lol. Cheers JW I did say I wasn't sure about the colours. Help with them would be a great help.
As you can see with the first one the key dominates over OpenURU. It is hard to get the text bigger when putting it on something long and thin. I manipulated the key shank itself and made that part fatter. Still not enough. And with taking your idea below I am not sure it will work. But I will give that one a try later.

JWPlatt wrote:Thinking about my ".org" rule - not that this has anything to do with your logos, Szark - I think it's okay to give the ".org" a different orientation if necessary, but just so it follows OpenURU. It could be hanging on a hinge, at an angle, or even on the next line somehow. Heh, the period could be the hinge pin. Just rambling now...
Taking your comments I quickly changed things last night to give you an idea using the second one.
Whilyam

Post by Whilyam »

Here's my attempt:

Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

To use that as a site logo would, I think, require Cyan's approval and to be formally licensed since it includes Cyan artwork and would imply an affiliation between OpenURU.org and Cyan Inc. or Cyan Worlds Inc., which does not exist. While such approval may not be an insurmountable problem (Cyan seem to have been reasonably liberal in that respect for fan sites), I think the remit here was try to use "original" artwork.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
Gehn, lord of ages

Post by Gehn, lord of ages »

Okay, here's another (bunch of) idea(s). (Hopefully someone has a better program to draw key shapes in than Publisher, though).
The blue keys would probably fit better with the existing color schemes. I think the top right example is the largest the round part of the key (and thus, the "openUru.org") can be made in proportion to the rest of the key.
My posts represent the views of me, Gehn, lord of ages, and not any companies or groups which I don't belong to. :D
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

What you've done to put resource icons within the circle of the key is really intriguing. Pictures are better than words when it comes to an international crowd.

I've having a little flash of spelling the resource with the teeth of the keys. Hehe, how cute is that? ;)

Or a circular symbol representing a triad of people, projects, and collaboration in the style of an iris (but not actually an iris - maybe a three-part yin/yang, maybe with harder angles).

I'm still fond of the hang tags.

In all these cases, OpenURU.org is weak when it's part of any object. Maybe "OpenURU" needs to be on its own to the right of a good logo icon with the ".org" left-justified and smaller directly below.

I had another idea of using " > explore" in the text adventure display style, (or "> forums", "> bugs", "> wiki", etc), below the abstract logo somewhere (or on a hang tag).

I'm just throwing things out there. Stick with your own ideas if you like them - they might be better.

I should start putting up your proposals, one per week to give you all some recognition and get responses.
Gehn, lord of ages

Post by Gehn, lord of ages »

JWPlatt wrote: I've having a little flash of spelling the resource with the teeth of the keys. Hehe, how cute is that? ;)
Very cute... and hard. :mrgreen:
I'm not even going to try "bugtracking"

And on all the other ideas...
Preferably with a darker background (like the blue I used in the other ones). More like this
My posts represent the views of me, Gehn, lord of ages, and not any companies or groups which I don't belong to. :D
realXCV

Post by realXCV »

Gehn, lord of ages wrote:I'm not even going to try "bugtracking"
Why not ? I want to see it.
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

My first thought is the bug icon in Riven, but can't use their IP. ;)

Return to “Suggestions”