Open Uru Forum Logo

Community, Project, and Forum Suggestions

Moderator: OpenUru.org Moderators

aander91

Open Uru Forum Logo

Post by aander91 »

Hey guys. I thought I'd take the liberty in making a little banner/logo for you guys. :D Criticism is welcome, so if there is something that you think would make it better then please feel free to ask me!

Banner/logo for website
http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h147/ ... LOGO-1.jpg

Signature size
http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h147/ ... RULOGO.jpg

Enjoy!

Edit: Hmm...I can't post pictures...
admin
Site Admin

Re: Open Uru Forum Logo

Post by admin »

Wow, nice! See a need, then fill it - is a great attitude for a project site. I like your self-motivation on our behalf. I have been trying to think of a good logo, and submisions are quite welcome. I might post my own to get a collection of opinions as soon as I can. I'm thinking something simple with curvey latters, two colors, and a place to integrate words for site locations such as "Forums," "Wiki," etc. - the way you did with "Forums."

But for now, it is the policy of this site to not use any Cyan Worlds assets (artwork, etc) in its look and feel unless and until it applies for and receives license to use them. So while I'd really appreciate a good logo right now, our logo will not use any Cyan Worlds images. Sorry!

Posting pictures, however, is okay. I'll look into why you couldn't use the image tag.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Okay, here's the image problem.

You have:
[img]http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h147/aa91/?action=view&current=OPENURULOGO.jpg[/img]

It has photobucket parameters in the url which is not the true path to the image. It serves a web page with an image on it.

The path should omit the parameters and be used simply as:
[img]http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h147/aa91/OPENURULOGO.jpg[/img]
aander91

Post by aander91 »

Ahh, I see. So no Cyan world pictures huh? So no Uru logo and no in game pics? That'll be a bit tough. ;)
Szark

Post by Szark »

I know it is not a priority but I was inspired for a moment and knocked this up, just as an idea. I have learnt not to spend too much time on these until the customer is happy. :)

aander91

Post by aander91 »

Nice idea! The globe is a cool idea! Parchment would spruce up the bg a little.
Gehn, lord of ages

Post by Gehn, lord of ages »

Here's an idea. Instead of the D'ni text now in the "O" (it is from Mystlore, and I think it is just somebody's name), it would say "open" or something in D'ni.

My posts represent the views of me, Gehn, lord of ages, and not any companies or groups which I don't belong to. :D
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Hey, I have another idea for a logo if anyone wants to work it up.

Generally, any logo should follow these rules:

- Be within 16:9 (w:h) ratio, no wider, but no taller than square
- Two color, as if using for less expensive letterhead
- Incorporate transparent background for use on various domain pages - forums, wiki, bug tracker, project management, etc
- Should appear equally well on black or white background, or most any background except the two colors used
- OpenURU.org should appear as it is written, including the ".org", without breaking it up.
- Leave an integrated space for domain page location: i.e. "Forums", "Wiki", "Bugs", but such that its omission for a pure logo would not look odd.

So here's an idea. I like what some have done with a globe of the earth. And I was just thinking of the old Universal Pictuers logo of the globe with "UNIVERSAL" going around the equator (and that little plane). So along those lines:

- Blue and white, or creamy off-white, globe with mostly North America facing out, maybe some of Europe/Africa - okay if unrealistically close. Water = blueish, land mass = whiteish.
- "OpenURU.org" is written as if in orbit around the Earth, using some curved perspective, but not totally wrapped.
- Use "Forums" as a sample domain locator.
- If you want to go crazy, animate a slowly turning globe.

Sound interesting?
Perfect speed is being there.
Szark

Post by Szark »

Sound interesting?
YES lol

I have just found a program called Celestia. With Celestia you can turn the earth around zoom in and out, with in reason to get the perfect angle of shot. So that might help to get the land mass in you want. Plus taking a screen shot gives the abilty to apply color changes and so on a high res image. Cutting out the earth shoudn't be an issue. Putting it all on a tranaparent background also no problem. The text shouldn't be an issue but what I lack is that artistic imagination for colours and styles.

As for animating the globe, well that is way out of my skills set but a nice idea for someone else to pick up.

Szark
Nalates

Post by Nalates »

I like the OP images...

I would suggest that since OU is bit more about source code and the programming aspects, rather than just the game, some part of that should be in the logo.

Also, I can see a problem with using a game image to create the logo. But another photo of a desert and tree, or dark forest with purple light (from outside the game) should not be a problem. It could still be very Myst like and not images or textures taken from the game.

These are concept images. Usage rights are unclear, except ok for proofs. So, please do not use them.
Last edited by Nalates on Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nalates
GoW, GoMa and GoA apprentice - Guildmaster GoC - SL = Nalates Urriah

Return to “Suggestions”