D'niWeb

Community, Project, and Forum Suggestions

Moderator: OpenUru.org Moderators

Gehn, lord of ages

Re: D'niWeb

Post by Gehn, lord of ages »

Now that I've written the above, any network capable of linking to this post is now out of bounds for IC. Unless you really want to claim anyone writing these posts are mad, as would be most of the internet except the IC sites.
Most sites on the internet don't explicitly state that D'ni doesn't exist, and are therefore completely IC (as other real world phenomena, like Pizza Hut, rice, and lawnmowers are entirely in the D'niverse). Furthermore, there are many sites in the internet that will tell you that the moon landings were a hoax and that there are giant turtle armies hiding in the hollow earth waiting to eat us all. There's lots of wackos out there. Does that mean I'm Out of Myself? :shock: People trying to keep the most IC will just not look at sites denying the reality of the cavern.
Do you know a lot of existing caverns with wireless internet access ?
Irrelevant. Is there any scientific law saying that we cannot put up some kind of wireless system inside of caverns? Or is it impossible to put internet wires through the Descent or somewhere to connect this local access to the surface internet? Or if they can connect the KI to computer systems, to beam it through the lattice (which is IC).

Okay, back to the Tweek interface. Why can't we just make it like the bookshelf in Relto? First you click on the screen (you can't click on the buttons yet). Your avatar orients him/herself and maybe sticks in his/her KI. Only now can you press the buttons (seriously, why would your avatar click on the buttons from some weird angle anyway? Since it is a game, there are already a limited maneuverability.) and control the screen. Then just allow only one person to be properly aligned with the screen controls at a time. If you want, make it so that nearby people just see a sort of privacy-static (like in some laptops). I'd rather it just be so that anyone can see, though (if it's possible). I mean, it's not really something intensely private.
My posts represent the views of me, Gehn, lord of ages, and not any companies or groups which I don't belong to. :D
Tweek

Post by Tweek »

Not sure if the Cavern has wireless access, but the DRC did set something up that linked computers they had down in the cavern with the net on the surface, they used it to run the Hoodcams back in 03/04.
realXCV

Post by realXCV »

Gehn, lord of ages wrote:Most sites on the internet don't explicitly state that D'ni doesn't exist, and are therefore completely IC (as other real world phenomena, like Pizza Hut, rice, and lawnmowers are entirely in the D'niverse).
Every site that state that MOUL is a game is OOC.
Furthermore, there are many sites in the internet that will tell you that the moon landings were a hoax and that there are giant turtle armies hiding in the hollow earth waiting to eat us all.
I suppose there's also a site that tell that your house doesn't exist and another one that tell that you don't exist.
Do you know a lot of existing caverns with wireless internet access ?
Irrelevant. Is there any scientific law saying that we cannot put up some kind of wireless system inside of caverns? Or is it impossible to put internet wires through the Descent or somewhere to connect this local access to the surface internet? Or if they can connect the KI to computer systems, to beam it through the lattice (which is IC).
Scientific law: no. Practical law: yes.
Okay, back to the Tweek interface. Why can't we just make it like the bookshelf in Relto? First you click on the screen (you can't click on the buttons yet). Your avatar orients him/herself and maybe sticks in his/her KI. Only now can you press the buttons (seriously, why would your avatar click on the buttons from some weird angle anyway? Since it is a game, there are already a limited maneuverability.) and control the screen. Then just allow only one person to be properly aligned with the screen controls at a time.
That implies that only one avatar at a time can read the news. Which seems to be against the purpose of an info booth.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Nalates wrote:Wait… I’m confused now. In Prologue/MOUL were we not everyday current people that came into the cavern?

When did IC put us in the frame and time of the D’ni?

Why would not a laptop supplied by the DRC not be a current day laptop connected to the current day Internet?
Everyone else is having a go at these lines, so I thought I'd join in :D ...

There's no suggestion that IC puts you in the time frame of D'ni: As realXCV said, IC is contemporary with our own lives. It's about maintaining the whole IC image for those that want to play the game that way, and so not providing in-game indications that it's fictional. It's like getting a Ki message saying "The cavern will be closed 10:00 - 14:00 EDT on Saturday while independent safety audits are carried out - ResEng XYZ" versus "The login server will be unvailable 10:00 - 14:00 EDT on Saturday while we change that dodgy hard disk - Admin".
Gehn, lord of ages wrote:Most sites on the internet don't explicitly state that D'ni doesn't exist, and are therefore completely IC
True, but many sites associated with URU/Myst (OpenURU.org, mystonline.com included) expose much OOC content. If you're using the "info booth" principle then it would seem plausible that several players could see the same view (unless your "privacy" suggestions applied) so some intensely IC characters could be irritated by the "spell being broken". Or someone navigates to a site with "inappropriate " content "for a laugh". Yes, most URU fans are a pretty good natured and respectful bunch, but I think we all saw a few jerks in the game too during the Gametap era :( .
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
realXCV

Post by realXCV »

Tweek wrote:Not sure if the Cavern has wireless access, but the DRC did set something up that linked computers they had down in the cavern with the net on the surface, they used it to run the Hoodcams back in 03/04.
That's something I'm still wandering.

It can't be a satellite system. It has to be either a wired or a wireless access. However, in both case, it's the distance that bugs me.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

realXCV wrote:It can't be a satellite system. It has to be either a wired or a wireless access. However, in both case, it's the distance that bugs me.
Distance isn't a problem: A pair of directional wireless antennae, each made from a empty soup can and an old satellite TV dish, can give you around 25-30 miles range when connected to standard wireless-G repeaters. But that's with a clear line of sight. Distance and going round corners is tricky ;) . I guess you could use wireless repeaters for the relatively clear sections where you can get decent line of sight, then wireless to cable bridges for getting round the twisty bits.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
Gehn, lord of ages

Mac_Fife wrote: True, but many sites associated with URU/Myst (OpenURU.org, mystonline.com included) expose much OOC content. If you're using the "info booth" principle then it would seem plausible that several players could see the same view (unless your "privacy" suggestions applied) so some intensely IC characters could be irritated by the "spell being broken". Or someone navigates to a site with "inappropriate " content "for a laugh". Yes, most URU fans are a pretty good natured and respectful bunch, but I think we all saw a few jerks in the game too during the Gametap era :( .
Wait, wait. These are two separate arguments by now. The "full" or "fake" internet was for the "laptop" idea, which would not be an info booth. The laptop would only be seen by the operator. Definitely the info booths should be just a limited internet. For one thing, it is much easier to put the controls for them if there are a limited amount of sites to switch between. :mrgreen:
Which sadly is still not a large percentage of the internet.
I suppose there's also a site that tell that your house doesn't exist and another one that tell that you don't exist.
Actually yeah... people with weird philosophies about reality.... are on the internet... yeah... ever been to one of those sites?
That implies that only one avatar at a time can read the news. Which seems to be against the purpose of an info booth.
Okay, then let us call it a kiosk. Okay? It provides information. People can just control the information if they want. People can look over their shoulders if they want. People can just go to another screen if they want.
My posts represent the views of me, Gehn, lord of ages, and not any companies or groups which I don't belong to. :D
realXCV

Post by realXCV »

Gehn, lord of ages wrote:
Mac_Fife wrote: True, but many sites associated with URU/Myst (OpenURU.org, mystonline.com included) expose much OOC content. If you're using the "info booth" principle then it would seem plausible that several players could see the same view (unless your "privacy" suggestions applied) so some intensely IC characters could be irritated by the "spell being broken". Or someone navigates to a site with "inappropriate " content "for a laugh". Yes, most URU fans are a pretty good natured and respectful bunch, but I think we all saw a few jerks in the game too during the Gametap era :( .
Wait, wait. These are two separate arguments by now. The "full" or "fake" internet was for the "laptop" idea, which would not be an info booth. The laptop would only be seen by the operator. Definitely the info booths should be just a limited internet. For one thing, it is much easier to put the controls for them if there are a limited amount of sites to switch between. :mrgreen:
Exactly.
But it's still part of the Internet.
Actually yeah... people with weird philosophies about reality.... are on the internet... yeah... ever been to one of those sites?
No.
Okay, then let us call it a kiosk. Okay? It provides information. People can just control the information if they want. People can look over their shoulders if they want. People can just go to another screen if they want.
Call it whatever you want. "Info booth", "kiosk", "big giant public KI"...
Gehn, lord of ages

realXCV wrote:
But it's still part of the Internet.
No.
But they exist. There's even more people on the internet who declare that people with my characteristics don't exist. If people say that "Nice people are just a figment of your imagination", does that mean I cannot be nice, or that anybody who is nice is in the wrong universe? (and you will agree that A) People say such things [often after or during a group action that argues for it in an isolated way] B) Nice people exist somewhere in this universe and C) Nice people use the internet, correct?)

Edit: I don't want to bring up this debate again, so I'm just editing this into an old post, but here's a rather convincing argument. ;) http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?la ... is+a+game"
Call it whatever you want. "Info booth", "kiosk", "big giant public KI"...
Exactly. So now that we've established that what we did call at one time an "info booth" doesn't have to function exactly like some other "info booth", and still has purpose outside of that sole definition, can we move on? We should also probably stop the whole debate on the internet (as the "big public KI which distributes somewhat website like or informational data in such a manner as described and postulated above" would render all that argument irrelevant and also in favor of your side of the debate ;) ).
Last edited by Gehn, lord of ages on Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
realXCV

Post by realXCV »

What's the next debate ?

Return to “Suggestions”