Improve Uru Cost/Performance Using UDP Network Architecture

Community, Project, and Forum Suggestions

Moderator: OpenUru.org Moderators

GPNMilano

Re: Improve Uru Cost/Performance Using UDP Network Architecture

Post by GPNMilano »

Lag in MOUL was mostly a client issue and not related to the servers. Some lag was, but according to people (Current and former Cyan employees) the majority of the issues with the lag were related to the client, which was why it was so hard to eliminate the lag for them, and they tried different work arounds for it (the removal of the cones being the biggest).

There are several threads on MOUL where they mention this.
Ned

Post by Ned »

GPNMilano wrote:.....and they tried different work arounds for it (the removal of the cones being the biggest).
haha the cones really :D
now that makes me laugh....truly I had the very same problem.

except mine wasn't cones, it was shrubbery.

after building a set would put shrubbery around to add a final touch...man did they slow the game down

hahaha.

sorry off topic, but had to indulge :)
Who ever said there was no money in Indie Developer Companies should be shot.
Ned

Post by Ned »

Inquisitor wrote:What I'm trying to say is this. I have a ProLiant DL580 G2. Maybe not the latest and greatest of datacenter class servers...but it does what I want it to. Ned seems to be saying that people like me with bigiron servers at home should just put'em on a shelf and go his route?
Forgive misunderstandings....
I am not forcing my server set just offering them.
And no code has been releassed nor have any decisions been made as to how it all can be hosted.
By all means dude your server system sounds ok.
The community may opt for different servers hosting shards as a community set...who knows.

But I aint dictating...
Earlier i offered my servers...simply offered, then suggested udp porting.
but I am not the one making the call.
whatever decisions are made are made by the group, you and me included.
and that choice will be for the betterment of URU

so of course offer your services dude we may need a load more server power than even I could offer to start.
:) and the group may not even want mine. as I said who knows :)
Ned

Post by Ned »

cjkelly1 wrote:
Ned wrote:From my research and you'll have to trust me....me and my team did allot...
Some of the problems encountered with the GameTap launch was encountered due to TCP overheads.
Those whom you are trying to convince are knowledgeable about these matters, and I do not think they will accept the "trust me" approach. You will get much better results if you simply post the data to back up your statements (so that others can verify them).
Ok...I am not a number cruncher ok I am a boss. I employ people to number crunch for me and I tell as I understand it.
I could pull in my devs to number crunch with you all day if you wish..for that is what they do.
But i would rather not as its highly unproductive.

I will withdraw further server offers...I simplly offered from having been there done that and tested most of what was available ok.

Seems I am making more mistakes than actual contributions which in itself is non-productive.
Ned wrote:Speed is of the essence if we wish to keep it open source and free for the community.
Please explain this statement. How will someone come in and make OSMO non-free? If Cyan chooses the correct licensing model, this will not be able to legally happen. What is the reason that speed is of the essence?
Essence...I was a big URU fan. After the Gametap saga I forgot it all and went on building my own game company. As a game company head...word was passed down the line from other game company heads regarding this new phase in URU history. So I came to have a look, and to offer help in the spirit of all things URU. Rest assured if the pipeline of game dev companies is talking about this so as I am able to learn about it from word of mouth (and I am way the hell over in China), then you can be certain there will be sharks in the waters.

I again...making mistakes...only mentioned this as it concerns me somewhat as I would like to see URU be truly up and running again...I love the game.

And...I have dealt with the sharks of the game dev world for the previous 2 years, and have been burned because of it.
See my CEO Blog for details: http://grantchatter.blogspot.com/2008/0 ... verse.html
and a load of other useful server / hosting tidbits are discussed here if the number crunchers would like to indulge themselves.

So I'll keep my mouth closed...didn't come to fight, only to help.
DarK

Post by DarK »

Ned

A lot of what you are comming up against is pride and passion, a lot of these people have worked and Dev'ed on Uru for countless hours.

For you to come in an suggest what you are doing is better, is treading on their toes. so you are going to come up against this and often.

Only after you prove the system works better than what has been laid out for Uru already by the people who have responded, will they even consider looking at it in more depth.

From your posts however it sounds like your solution is typically hardware based via cisco gear, I am currently learning CCNA and with what I know currently, it sounds like you are doing NAT/PAT dynamically in a specalised way in which to gain the preformance.

If all the server has to worry about is sending data to its gateway, you are essentially off loading the meaty packet formation to the routers, and they are doing the work.

Correctly balanced routers are better devices for forming/altering packets because its what they are essentially designed for.

I know english is not your native language, but from what I grasped this is what I came up with ...

I could be miles off though.
cjkelly1

Post by cjkelly1 »

DarK wrote:A lot of what you are comming up against is pride and passion, a lot of these people have worked and Dev'ed on Uru for countless hours.
I believe this is most definitely not a case of pride. It is a case of being unable to evaluate the idea without the technical details.

Technical claims (many of which appear to be blatantly wrong) have been made and all that is asked for is proof of these claims.
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Maybe someone on Ned's team would enjoy elaborating in technical terms we can chew on. Higher management has the vision. Only the engineers are expected to get the details right and make it work. And sometimes that's iffy, especially if Marketing is providing the specs. ;)
Perfect speed is being there.
realXCV

Post by realXCV »

Even after doing many searches, reading many pages, (receiving many "this site could harm your computer"), the only thing I think I could come up with is that Ned comes from New Zealand but lives in China... or something like that.

Not exactly what I was looking for.

Return to “Suggestions”