Cleaning Up Instancing

Community, Project, and Forum Suggestions

Moderator: OpenUru.org Moderators

Grogyan

Re: Cleaning Up Instancing

Post by Grogyan »

The real problem I see with this book mark system is how Cyan wrote the GUI for books and journals
they weren't really designed for bookmarking
realXCV

Post by realXCV »

75th Trombone wrote:The biggest problem I see with this is that we're putting a clicky-clicky user interface on a piece of paper. But these are Yeesha-Magicked pieces of paper, and this book already has clickable glowing pages and a clickable "share book" caption, so I don't think we're really breaking character that much.
Having a clickable spot on a page is one thing but having a drop down menu is something else. Remember that the book is still made of paper even if you see it as pixel on you screen.
75th Trombone

Post by 75th Trombone »

We can depict it however we like. Perhaps the drop down menu can be a second piece of paper coming through a slit in the Linking page. I don't know.

Or how about this: Instead of a drop down menu, you just click the name of someone in the "PARTIES I'M IN" column and then the caption changes. Of course, we still need scrollbars on those columns. Perhaps the columns can be depicted as loops of paper moving through slits in the left page.

The point is, it's easy to come up with ways to depict UI elements in a more physical manner. But we still have to use intuitive UI elements that people already have some familiarity with, or else they won't be able to understand at a glance what's going on. (KI, anyone?)
75th Trombone

Post by 75th Trombone »

In other words, let's critique the usability and simplicity and understandability of my scheme (and everyone else's) before we worry about IC considerations. Make it work first, make it plausible second.
realXCV

Post by realXCV »

75th Trombone wrote:Make it work first, make it plausible second.
Why making it work to later realize that it's not plausible?

Your mockup doesn't work because it hides the left half (if not more) of the share book icon.

I would suggest a linking book to a Relto (it works and it's plausible) but where do you put it ?
75th Trombone

Post by 75th Trombone »

realXCV wrote:Your mockup doesn't work because it hides the left half (if not more) of the share book icon.
It does no such thing. The columns' bottoms are above the top of the Share Book icon. My idea when I made it was to have scrollbars, but whether we do that or depict the lists as loops of cloth through the page, they would never get in the way of the Share Book icon.[/quote]
Why acknowledge my idea for making it plausible or give your own suggestions when you can just pooh-pooh the whole thing like you always do?
I would suggest a linking book to a Relto (it works and it's plausible) but where do you put it ?
So we would have a Linking Book to Relto for every friend whose party we're in? You call that plausible? (Not to mention "usable"?)
Last edited by 75th Trombone on Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

75th Trombone wrote:
realXCV wrote:Why making it work to later realize that it's not plausible?
Why acknowledge my idea for making it plausible or give your own suggestions when you can just pooh-pooh the whole thing like you always do?
realXCV wrote:I would suggest a linking book to a Relto (it works and it's plausible) but where do you put it ?
So we would have a Linking Book to Relto for every friend whose party we're in? You call that plausible? (Not to mention "usable"?)
Unacceptable on this forum. realXCV disagreed, but had a suggestion. That counts as fair debate. Sarcastic personal generalizations are not part of civility and respect for opinion. Please be constructive and know that people are trying to find a solution, not attack you personally. The proper response is to rationally defend why you believe your idea is plausible and why realXCV's isn't, in your opinion, without the ad hominems.
75th Trombone

Post by 75th Trombone »

Okay, you're right, I'm sorry. realXCV, I apologize.

My points remain: My screenshot and related concept cover up nothing. What's wrong with my "loops of cloth" depiction? How is a shelfful of Relto books more plausible than putting some UI in your own Relto book?
realXCV

Post by realXCV »

75th Trombone wrote:
realXCV wrote:Your mockup doesn't work because it hides the left half (if not more) of the share book icon.
It does no such thing. The columns' bottoms are above the top of the Share Book icon. My idea when I made it was to have scrollbars, but whether we do that or depict the lists as loops of cloth through the page, they would never get in the way of the Share Book icon.
[/quote]
It does no such thing if you use the old layout but the MOUL share book icon takes more place than a simple line on the page.
I don't pooh-pooh things. I try to find flaws in them before it's too late.
Yes. Yes. (Yes.)
Current limitation as I said is: Where do you put that book?
My points remain: My screenshot and related concept cover up nothing. What's wrong with my "loops of cloth" depiction? How is a shelfful of Relto books more plausible than putting some UI in your own Relto book?
I never said they would be in Relto. And before you think of it, I never said they would be in Nexus.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Marten wrote:I've titled the page "Instancing:Bookmarks" as a model for others to name their own Instancing proposals.

So you could build a hierarchy like this:

Project Proposals
-- Instancing
----- Instancing: Bookmarks
----- Instancing: Proposal2
-- Great Shaft
----- Great Shaft: Proposal1
----- Great Shaft: Proposal2
-- KI Redesign
----- KI Redesign: Proposal
Before anybody grumbles, I've been re-titling a number of pages as the colon was creating a potential conflict with wiki namespace interpretation (see http://wiki.openuru.org/index.php?title=Page_Titling), so a page names like "Instancing:Bookmarks" will have been changed to "Instancing - Bookmarks". As far as I can tell, re-directions are working so if you've got links to the old page names somewhere, they should still work.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler

Return to “Suggestions”