Looking at Launchpad

Community, Project, and Forum Suggestions

Moderator: OpenUru.org Moderators

Dot

Looking at Launchpad

Post by Dot »

In the MOUL thread started by Top Gun on The potential (and peril) of open-source Chogon wrote as follows:
Chogon wrote:Thanks Top Gun!

This has also been on our minds very much also. We don't want to just dump the source out there. But have a growing and moving source code set with a main branch that is golden and sub branches for experiments or specialties. This needs good organization and lots of good help. One of the open source repositories that interest me is LaunchPad because it has strong collaborative services with teams with varying degrees of responsibilities. I would be curious to what you thought.

Thanks,
Chogon
Could we focus on Launchpad in this thread -- explore what it offers, how it might be useful? Thanks!
rarified

Re: Looking at Launchpad

Post by rarified »

Hi Dot,

I'll try to load up Bazaar (the underlying VCS) next week and do some comparisions to Mercurial. We'll see if I can write something coherent about it.
Dot

Post by Dot »

Thanks, rarified!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

This thread has nice buds, but has not been watered lately. Putting it into the sunlight as a reminder. Should it be moved to System Concepts or maybe Building & Testing for some fresh air?
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

admin wrote:Should it be moved to System Concepts or maybe Building & Testing for some fresh air?
I don't feel that a VCS is a "key enabler" in itself for getting a working URU implementation, so it does't really fit the scope of "System Concepts". To me it feels more aligned to "Building & Testing", but maybe that's rarified's call.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
rarified

Post by rarified »

I think I agree with Mac regarding placement -- not in system concepts, and I don't think it fits building & testing either. For the moment Suggestions seems as apropriate a home as any.

As I remember the discussion, in MOUL Chogon sounded a little like he was soliciting opinions about VCS systems they might use. (As in "did anyone have a strong preference?"). I don't see what I'm doing being sensitive to the VCS a specific project can/should use -- hudson is pretty agnostic in that regard (it doesn't have RCS support :roll:). We could pick up the discussion if you know about projects that are trying to choose a VCS. But at this time I'm not aware of any projects that are doing that. Personally I did a couple of experiments with bazaar (the VCS for Launchpad) and -- *shrug* -- it's another VCS.

At the moment I think I'd rather spend my time working on things I know will be needed to get URU up and running. Which VCS to use for URU is (I think) out of our control.

Any other thoughts or perspectives?
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

rarified wrote:I think I agree with Mac regarding placement -- not in system concepts, and I don't think it fits building & testing either. For the moment Suggestions seems as apropriate a home as any.
Yeah, I was leaning that way too.

And like you, at this point time I'm not inclined to get too excited about VCS. Branches will no doubt choose what suits them; many will follow the lead of Cyan in whatever they choose (if indeed Cyan elect to maintain a "trunk", which isn't necessarily a given from Chogon's posts :? ).

Wait and see.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler

Return to “Suggestions”