Neighborhoods - What should we do?

Community, Project, and Forum Suggestions

Moderator: OpenUru.org Moderators

The stranger

Re: Neighborhoods - What should we do?

Post by The stranger »

Gahreesen is, right now, the only place a player can pick a KI from (don't mind the descent part, that's just my idea). Picking up a KI isn't a must, a player can explore the game without it. But I want to show the players they can't go far without it. If we take Gahreesen out of some of the 'hoods, it just makes life more complicated.
Gehn, lord of ages

Post by Gehn, lord of ages »

The stranger wrote:Gahreesen is, right now, the only place a player can pick a KI from (don't mind the descent part, that's just my idea). Picking up a KI isn't a must, a player can explore the game without it. But I want to show the players they can't go far without it. If we take Gahreesen out of some of the 'hoods, it just makes life more complicated.
What about 'hoods that are entirely made up of A) People who have already gotten KI's, or even B) People who have played some variation of Uru and know that the KI is necessary anyway? It is absolutely important to nudge players towards getting a KI, but after they have (or after they know how to), Gahreesen is kind of arbitrary (as a book that must be kept in every 'hood).

Maybe, along with having Gahreesen as a default book (which would make people more likely to keep it in [and since newer players would be less likely to have visited as many Ages, they might have less Ages they want to put in and so be more likely to not replace Gahreesen]), a pamphlet or imager screen could appear in every 'hood that chose not to take the book (or even ones that did) telling people to get a KI (with maybe instructions). That, along with how a lot of people would know how to get a KI (and hopefully would notice people without KI's), should - I think - be enough. A Descent with working KI dispensers could also help.
My posts represent the views of me, Gehn, lord of ages, and not any companies or groups which I don't belong to. :D
Lehm

Post by Lehm »

There are three things that I think would make the hoods a better place.

1. Make it the starting place. Right now you link into relto and then directly off to where ever. Plus it makes more sense story wise...if you're heading down from the surface...wouldn't you end up somewhere in the cavern...so why not the hood.

2. Increase the starting count. I think it was set at 20 if I recall correctly...this is way to small. The odds of you running into any of those twenty people were slim. Starting neighborhoods were always a ghost town. Make it at least 100.

3. As for Gahreessen I've always thought it should be in the classroom. Use that pedestal for something else.
Tweek

Post by Tweek »

I'm vehemently against the hood as a starting place, the cleft should be the starting place or if push comes to shove an option for the cleft for new players, relto for returning ones.

I do agree with a means for hood control, it got out of hand with everyone under the sun making one, would have helped if you could delete hoods but there we go.
Lehm

Post by Lehm »

When I said starting place...didn't necessarily mean begin the game. Mearly when you log on normally. I realize that beginning the game in the cleft makes sense story wise...but for gameplay reasons I don't think it should. Namely you shouldn't start a multiplayer game in a single player space. But if I'm in the minority on that its not that big of a deal to me. But my suggestion was more along the lines of after that. People are more likely to spend time in their neighborhood if they log on there and see other people.
Tweek

Post by Tweek »

I agree, which is one of the reasons why I'd like to see a public Cleft.

I see what you mean, personally I prefer logging in to my Relto given that it's my "home" but then I guess the hood could be considered home for others.
Nalates

Post by Nalates »

There are a lot of doors in the hoods. If we can modify the hoods (content license), we could make homes in those.

Having a private Relto for everyone does not really encourage group play. Having homes in the hoods could encourage more RP and make it easier for new players to find people.
Nalates
GoW, GoMa and GoA apprentice - Guildmaster GoC - SL = Nalates Urriah
realXCV

Post by realXCV »

I suppose a ghost neighborhood (not only the place but the players too) encourages group play?

Return to “Suggestions”