An alternate URU vision

Community, Project, and Forum Suggestions

Moderator: OpenUru.org Moderators

The stranger

Re: Where to Begin (The Game)

Post by The stranger »

It doesn't have to be "my" canon. I'm just saying things should be different and people should stop looking IC explanations for everything.
realXCV

Post by realXCV »

People don't ask for explanations of everything.
Tweek

Post by Tweek »

The stranger wrote: Myst fans always confuse me. From one side, a lot of Uru was lame. Yes, lame. And could be a lot better. From the other side, people want everything to be explained. Can't we just say "because" and ignore the IC stuff?
Those who say Uru is lame, tend ,more often than not, to refer to the MOUL part of Uru, which was lacking in well thought out story/content and atmosphere. They're not asking for everything to be explained, just some things where it makes sense (or the means to find the explination themselves), for example Jalak Dador.

The Age was plonked down with a "here's a D'ni gaming Age, dunno what games they played, but here's some we played". Not much of an explanation, could have taken a little time to say what D'ni games were played (heck my first trip to the Age I formed 2 games to play, could have easily said they were D'ni games), nor were there the means to find out what games they played (perhaps a book elsewhere in Ae'gura that contained documentation on the Age).

Delin, Tsogahl, Minkata, The Pods are the same, whilst they didn't need an explanation for why they were there (Garden Ages, Guild Training Age, Musuem/Observational Ages) they did need an explanation of why "journeys" were in those Ages, or at least the means to find out why they were in those Ages.

People look for IC explinations for everything because the game is treated as being IC, the whole point of the game is to pretend you're actually there in D'ni in real life doing this stuff. So trampling over canonicity will probably not fly with a lot of people.
The stranger

Post by The stranger »

I understand that tweek. But I think you misunderstood me.

I'm against people who don't want changes because they need an IC explanations for everything. I thought you wanted a remake, did you? I want one too: several changes like no yeesha magic or strange DRC stories, yet keeping the timeline and major events in place. I believe that a big reason such things may not work, putting the Cyan Worlds rules aside, is because people will ask "and yeesha suddenly have no powers? and the cate left not because of business reasons? that's not how the canon told us!".

I saw people, at mystcommunity, even at youtube saying Uru disappointed them, Uru was a lame game (I don't agree with that, but it's their opinion), and even that a real Myst fan won't like Uru. Myst fans said it. It really disappoints me Uru didn't attract many Myst fans, because of stuff like less details. I believe that Uru could attract more people, like the other Myst games, if only it had all those thing Myst fans expected. Now, if we could just mess up with the canon at open uru... maybe we could fix stuff and attract more players. Remakes don't need IC explanations.
realXCV

Post by realXCV »

The canon is not the problem. Lack of many things is the problem. Why reading a DRC monolog where if you crash you can't go back while you could simply read the logs on a forum? They compared the episodes to be like thoses on TV and that's what they were. You look but you're not involved. Only one week per month in which things happen. It doesn't care what you do during the other weeks because it won't influence what will happen on the next "active" week. The ages you get are either small or thoses you already know.
T_S_Kimball

Post by T_S_Kimball »

Tweek wrote:They're not asking for everything to be explained, just some things where it makes sense (or the means to find the explanation themselves), for example Jalak Dador.
That is one of the best one-line summaries of how I felt regarding MO:UL. I have no issue with IC explanation (or lack thereof), but also want to make sure that we don't stray too far off of the 'reality' portion of ARG. Of course, Cyan already contradicts the Myst/Uru reality in spots, which isn't helping (and is the main source of most of this conflict).

Anyway, we appear to have strayed a bit from 'start of game' into the (very related) 'starting tutorial' that most MMOs have. Uru didn't have one - at least, one that was easily recognizable. That was part of its allure, but also can be a burden or a problem for recurring players (in a sharded format). After all, can you imagine someone starting up Uru in much the same way you begin a new character in Eve Online? [Yes I know that's not a perfect analogy, but its to get the point across... ;) ]

Uru, with its sharding format, will require the ability to change the startup for individual needs. The best solution would be the ability to have most of the suggestions here possible (barring Cyan shooting down specific points), but I don't expect that to be a reality. However, it should be a heck of a lot more than just 'Oh, we left the door open in the tree for you.'

--Tim K
Timothy S. Kimball - www.sungak.net
SL - Alan Kiesler (retired) || Eve Online - Alain Kinsella
realXCV

Post by realXCV »

T_S_Kimball wrote:Uru, with its sharding format, will require the ability to change the startup for individual needs. The best solution would be the ability to have most of the suggestions here possible (barring Cyan shooting down specific points), but I don't expect that to be a reality. However, it should be a heck of a lot more than just 'Oh, we left the door open in the tree for you.'
If it was just changing the starting location it would be easy.
The stranger

Post by The stranger »

realXCV: yeesha-magic, bahro-magic, lack of details and unexplained DRC stuff is also what drew many people out. Not just out of MOUL. Out of Uru it self.

The tutorial doesn't give away spoilers (other than how to reach d'ni) and teaches you about the game baisics. I tried to make the game it self as simple as possible, while keeping details and some challenge in the way. The thing with the tutorail is that it isn't a must. You are a player who wants to figure out stuff on his own? don't see the tutorial. You are a player who just want to get into d'ni and start rolling? or just really confused about something like instaces or sharing? see the tutorial. Simple.
If it was just changing the starting location it would be easy.
Fine, we could stick with changing the start location. But in the long term, that isn't the only thing which annoyed people.
realXCV

Post by realXCV »

Lack of details and you want to give them even less details?

I don't think that yeesha-magic and bahro-magic were the most annoying things.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

The stranger wrote:Fine, we could stick with changing the start location. But in the long term, that isn't the only thing which annoyed people.
Indeed, and there are other threads here (and on other forums) debating those points, but this thread is "Where to Begin". Grand schemes for major overhauls, even with the best of intentions, probably have much less chance of being completed than a small change, simply due to the commitment of time and effort involved :( .
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler

Return to “Suggestions”