Plasma

Community, Project, and Forum Suggestions

Moderator: OpenUru.org Moderators

Nalates

Plasma

Post by Nalates »

This is a spinoff from this thread.

Plasma… is the foundation (or glue) with which MOUL and MQO are built. I suspect most of the fan base has no clear idea what it is or how it is used. Paradox gave one of the better descriptions here (IMO).

I have the impression that Plasma and the ‘tools’ Cyan will release are somewhat like Photoshop plug-ins, but for 3DMax, and the function source libraries most programming languages use.

The library is likely modified to use whatever physics engine and render package. I think that makes it hard to define what Plasma is and when something is a Plasma engine.

Since Plasma is a collection of source code functions used to make the MOUL game we will be changing it. We will likely change any functions that work with the Oracle database, Havok physics, and DirectX. If we start improving Plasma we could change it to the point the only unchanged parts are the data classes/structures that handle the Cyan PRP and other files. When does it stop being Plasma and generating a Plasma engine?

Consider what happens if I take the SL type viewer and change it to work with Plasma. Is the viewer still a Plasma viewer that would fit a possible Cyan license that attempts to control where Cyan content is used? We don’t know, but you start to see the problem. What makes something Plasma or not? How much of that code do I have to use for it to be Plasma?

I could include the library just to read the Cyan data when I compile the viewer. Then the question is, how is it significantly different from the original client side of the game, at least from a licensing point of view?

Can the license be written to prevent adding new things to it? Would it be written that way? If it is not written that way, how much can we add to it before it stops being Plasma?

The same goes for the server.

So, while I agree the indications are to limit Cyan content to use in Plasma engines, I think it is going to be very hard to specify what a Plasma engine is.

Next the questions come up as to what happens on OpenUru.org, if people get involved in drastic changes to Plasma or even decide to replace it with something they think is better? Most of that answer probably depends on what the license says. My assumption is whatever is acceptable here has to conform to whatever licenses come out. I think it is going to be a challenge to write a license that precludes use of Cyan content on anything other than a case by case approval. I think that is something Rand will want to avoid. So, I think we will eventually be answering these questions when people spin the interpretations of the license.

I would like to see an instance of the Cavern built in the Hypergrid. I like the idea that less technical builders could add ages easily. Changes to the Nexus would be easy. Lots of things would be a problem but the environment would be more inclusive. Also, it would put most of the load for tech advances on others. It would also increase the number of people that could find Uru.

Cyan may have a problem with that and may attempt to prevent their content appearing on the Hypergrid. It is their choice. While I won’t like it I’ll have to give up that idea. I’m not sure how many others will resist the temptation. So, whatever the case we will likely have drama about it.

My hope is the license will be flexible enough that Uru could be in many universes.
Nalates
GoW, GoMa and GoA apprentice - Guildmaster GoC - SL = Nalates Urriah
realXCV

Re: Plasma

Post by realXCV »

It will stop being Plasma when it will be a completely new engine that has nothing to do with Plasma.

How much of the original unmodified code from Windows 1.0 can be found in Windows 7? It is still called "Windows".
Nalates

Post by Nalates »

That is a good point.

So, are you meaning an alternative viewer that has Plasma code in it... is Plasma?
Nalates
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Plasma is/will be what you find on Cyan's main trunk under that name. Forks might call it redPlasma, whitePlasma, or even lhcPlasma (for 3D higgs particle renderings of course).
Perfect speed is being there.
realXCV

Post by realXCV »

Nalates wrote:So, are you meaning an alternative viewer that has Plasma code in it... is Plasma?
No.

Or plasma itself would have to be called directx-physx-openal-bink-...
Nalates

Post by Nalates »

Then how does one decide when it is Plasma and when not?

If I add SL code to Plasma, is it no longer Plasma?
Nalates
realXCV

Post by realXCV »

It will be an indication of who made changes to the code.

It will be Plasma with SL code.
Or SL with Plasma code depending if you just change a few lines or replace everything except a few lines.

Return to “Suggestions”