Controls

Community, Project, and Forum Suggestions

Moderator: OpenUru.org Moderators

Lehm

Controls

Post by Lehm »

Another big one for me would be a new controls. I'm tired of constantly holding down the mouse button to move. I do know that you could map the keyboard, but it didn't work very well as I recall and I went back to the mouse. I think standard remappable first person controls would work fine.
realXCV

Re: Controls

Post by realXCV »

I want that too.
And a more logical control in third person.
And mapping presets.
Braggi

Post by Braggi »

Regarding the KB mapping - MOUL and URU: CC were identical in function at one point. I regularly remap my controls in CC to a 1st-person shooter "WASD" default, as follows:

W: Forward
A: Turn left
S: Reverse
D: Turn right
Q: Sidestep left
E: Jump
R: Sidestep right
L-Shift: Run

This is basically a close a copy of the controls in Morrowind as I could get - very intuitive once familiar, especially with the Uru advanced settings of "smoother camera" and "pan while moving" being the only ones checked. Works well in combination with the mouse for fine rotational positioning in 1st person and not too badly overall in 3rd person.

My main issues regarding the current controls are:

a) No "autowalk" key (e.g. hit the key once and you continually walk or run until you either hit the autowalk key again or depress the forward key, which will then automatically disable autowalk, but still keep you moving until the forward key is no longer depressed. Something like this helps immensely with ages (like Minkata for example) where you have a lot of walking to do and don't want to deal with repetative stress to your hands or your keyboard.

b) 3rd person camera lag. The camera feels a bit "skiddy" in 3p mode. I think simply having it tied tightly to the avatar, instead of coasting behind it on a slight delay, would make a huge difference to 3p control. You can do this in some 3p views by zooming in on the avatar, by using the mouse wheel, until looking over their shoulder. However, this function got disabled a few times in MOUL and I have no idea if it was active or not when MOUL closed up shop. Being able to rotate the camera around the avatar a full 360 degrees at will is another vital function for those dedicated to 3rd person play.

Heck if those latter 3rd person functions were standard, I'd stop being so dedicated to 1st person play myself. 3rd person is vital for bug testing in age creation for physics issues too - you can see when you are running into invisible barriers that need to be fixed, as just one example.
Papa G

Post by Papa G »

For some reason I've always loved the 3rd person view. Always seems natural to me.
I have always used the directional keys because it just feels soo easy and natural. I never understood how people could use the mouse.
I say keep the controls the way they are (well, keyboard wise).
Grogyan

Post by Grogyan »

I prefer 1st POV, and I despise the default wasd controls, as I have to spend a lot of time resetting the key controls.

The current setup works fine, I use the middle mouse button to walk backwards.
zib_redlektab

Post by zib_redlektab »

I use the directional buttons for movement too, I prefer having WASD to use for chatting and stuff.

Also, I use 3p mostly. This is because Cyan has said that they designed their ages with 3p in mind, and then added 1p on as an extra later...

Return to “Suggestions”