Suggestion for finding the wiki?

Community, Project, and Forum Suggestions

Moderator: OpenUru.org Moderators

semplerfi

Suggestion for finding the wiki?

Post by semplerfi »

Sorry I have to ask but how does one find your wiki? :oops:

The only link I can find is on the top page of this web site and it takes me to the wiki forum. :?

Would it be possible to create a link to the wiki that is a little more out in the open? Maybe something as simple as a sticky thread at the top of the wiki forum with a link to the wiki in it.
Mac_Fife

Re: Suggestion for finding the wiki?

Post by Mac_Fife »

I wanted to modify the forum template to embed some links, but JW understandably wanted to keep the forum 'vanilla' in order to keep it simple for applying security updates to the software as they became available. The wiki has links back to the forum, because you don't need to change the wiki template for that.

If you look in the Resources and Tools forum (open that forum listing) you'll find a list of "Resource Links" to the Wiki, Blogs, IRC, etc.

I actually thought the wiki link also appeared in the wiki forum, so thanks for pointing that out. The reason the wiki isn't directly linked from the home webpage is that at one time it was, but as soon as we did that it started getting hit by spammers. We've closed the loophole in the default securities now but we decided to leave it so you had to register on the forums to be able to "find" the link, as an additional spambot deterrent.

EDIT: Added link to resources
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Mac_Fife wrote:I actually thought the wiki link also appeared in the wiki forum
It was. I moved all the resource links up a subforum level into category of their own in the Resources & Tools forum. I decided to not duplicate them within each resource because I thought it was overkill. But if you would like a copy of the respective links within each resource, I can add it.
Perfect speed is being there.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

It's OK, I just added a sticky post to point to the wiki. That's fine, because I could add a few words and make the link point to the Community Portal page instead of the Main page, since it's maybe more directly useful.
Mac_Fife
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

How about I change the link to also go to the Portal?
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Yeah, OK (... or I change the Main page and the Portal over... No, that'll just confuse everything!)

Go for it JW!
Mac_Fife
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

semplerfi, I think your concern has been thoroughly addressed at the point with the new site nav menu. :D

Return to “Suggestions”