The 'In' Box

Community, Project, and Forum Suggestions

Moderator: OpenUru.org Moderators

AlKaera

The 'In' Box

Post by AlKaera »

I hope this idea has some merit and turns into something of value on OpenURU..
The biggest thing I find on many of the forums since the announcement of Open Source Uru is the 'shotgun approach' to address 'everything' that needs to be done in preparation for what Cyan delivers AND what to Fix/Change/Create after 'The Game' is up and running somewhere.
1. Let me say that the Projects and Proposals section is off to a great start. Let me also say the topics are way over MY head. To techie for me. Also, the discussions there include hardware/software issues possible now, as well as how things should/shouldn't be in the future.
2. For any application that an IT department is in charge of there is an ongoing list of 'bug fixes' and a list of Client requests. As there is noone 'working' on either of these lists, at this point, the lists grow and are even more fragmented.
3.Where should these separate lists be on this OpenURU forum.
4.Should we relegate game software fixes/enhancements separate from platform/server/RDBMS/network issues. I think we should.
I'll let the forces in charge determine the answers to the questions here.

SIDE BAR--
As a member of the GoMe, part of our discussions on our forum are about how to improve communications with the community when we all go back 'into the cavern'.
In light of that talk we decided to start with an idea or two that will become 'request for enhancements' to the game software that give the Guilds more exposure to roving explorers.
If OpenURU is the place to start this kind of thing, then let's start.
P.S.
(examples)
Sub Forum = Hardware Fixes
Sub Forum = Hardware Enhancements
Topics as needed ( I don't know how to set these)

Sub Forum = Software Fixes
Topics
Nexus
Library
GZ
Imagers
Exploits

Sub Forum = Software Enhancements
Topics
Nexus
GZ
Imagers
KI

Thanks JWPlatt for starting all this and the rest of you for making it happen and trying to solidify the future of Uru.
AlKaera
KI 05969479 Unbound Hearts of D'ni 'Only the way a man is when he is hidden, is how he is.'
Member: Guild of Messengers The Guild is not responsibile for the individual views or opinions of it's members.
Mac_Fife

Re: The 'In' Box

Post by Mac_Fife »

AlKaera wrote:3.Where should these separate lists be on this OpenURU forum.
Probably the "Open Discussion", just now. As you've probably noticed, some items relating to the categories you mention crop up in a number of existing threads, and it would probably be good to try to pull those posts out and collate/re-organise them something along the lines you suggest. I'm all for trying to keep threads "focussed", if possible.
AlKaera wrote:4.Should we relegate game software fixes/enhancements separate from platform/server/RDBMS/network issues. I think we should.
Undoubtedly they should be kept separate. We're trying to keep that delineation in the "System Concepts" forum, but inevitaly people will post several ideas at once, and some will cross boundaries. As a mod, I'll try to keep some sense of structure, but at the same time, "brainstorming" is all about letting the ideas flow spontaneously and then doing the "sorting" afterwards.
AlKaera wrote:(examples)
I don't understand how you see scope for "Hardware Fixes" or "Hardware Enhancements" - "fixing" suggests something is faulty; "enhancing" suggests some kind of upgrading and the only opportunity for that would be your own PC. Perhaps you could explain further? There are server configuration and networking issues that need to be explored, and the like, but those are, technically, software.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
AlKaera

Post by AlKaera »

Mac_Fife wrote:
AlKaera wrote:3.Where should these separate lists be on this OpenURU forum.
Probably the "Open Discussion", just now.... I'm all for trying to keep threads "focussed", if possible.
Thanks and Ok, Open Discussion then.
AlKaera wrote:4.Should we relegate game software fixes/enhancements separate from platform/server/RDBMS/network issues. I think we should]
AlKaera wrote:(examples)
I don't understand how you see scope for "Hardware Fixes" or "Hardware Enhancements" - "fixing" suggests something is faulty; "enhancing" suggests some kind of upgrading and the only opportunity for that would be your own PC. Perhaps you could explain further? There are server configuration and networking issues that need to be explored, and the like, but those are, technically, software.
Well, you caught me. :o #4 did say platform/server....issues. I guess that would be more of an in house thing for those that set up the hardware, not a topic in general here anyway. As well as the Hardware Fixes/Enhancements. My out on that, seeing as how it was not even stated correctly, is (I don't know how to set these) and I never claimed to be a hardware guy. ;)
So I'll stick to game software stuff, like as listed. And I sure will need help collating all the ideas. Should I comb MOUL forums too?

Do you kill this post and we start over in 'General Discussion' or ???? JWPlatt said to get up and get going and quit using this OpenURU like a forum. :lol:
AlKaera
KI 05969479 Unbound Hearts of D'ni 'Only the way a man is when he is hidden, is how he is.'
Member: Guild of Messengers The Guild is not responsibile for the individual views or opinions of it's members.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

AlKaera wrote:Thanks and Ok, Open Discussion then.
Well, in the short term anyway. I'd suggest it'd be worth a few of the folks with ideas on bug fixes and game enhancements getting together and asking JWPlatt to set up specific headings in the "Projects" area for discussing these (then all the related posts could be merged into new threads).
AlKaera wrote:Do you kill this post and we start over in 'General Discussion' or ???? JWPlatt said to get up and get going and quit using this OpenURU like a forum. :lol:
AlKaera
Go ahead and create threads as you see fit. There's no designated mod but I guess JWPlatt will sort things if it looks like it's becoming disorganised.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
AlKaera

Post by AlKaera »

Mac_Fife wrote: Go ahead and create threads as you see fit. There's no designated mod but I guess JWPlatt will sort things if it looks like it's becoming disorganised.
Ok, getting back to you. Marten already got in ahead of me, but I'm adding comments, requests and link over there. This post doesn't need to go any further as it is, so it should go away and not be clutter.
Thanks Mac_Fife, HAPPY New Year.
AlKaera

Return to “Suggestions”