Client: Wardrobe Selection

Community, Project, and Forum Suggestions

Moderator: OpenUru.org Moderators

Marten

Re: Client: Wardrobe Selection

Post by Marten »

I agree that setting the skin and face is complicated, but how often does a player need to reload that setting? The only reason I can see for allowing the saving and loading of the skin/face is for porting avatars between shards. That problem is better solved by not having a bazillion shards.

I believe most players don't change their avatar's skin/face appearance much, if at all - they change their clothing. And, making the skin/face settings part of the file would interfere with the objective of letting people share outfits built out of items that are common to their inventories. If "Moe" sends me an outfit, I don't want my face to change to Moe's when I put it on.
The music is reversible, but time is not.
Tweek

Post by Tweek »

Marten wrote:I agree that setting the skin and face is complicated, but how often does a player need to reload that setting? The only reason I can see for allowing the saving and loading of the skin/face is for porting avatars between shards. That problem is better solved by not having a bazillion shards.
True, but we all know there are going to be an over flooding of shards.
I believe most players don't change their avatar's skin/face appearance much, if at all - they change their clothing. And, making the skin/face settings part of the file would interfere with the objective of letting people share outfits built out of items that are common to their inventories. If "Moe" sends me an outfit, I don't want my face to change to Moe's when I put it on.
I can't really speak for others, I know I change my features around a lot, to make them more like mine. Being able to save that would be great.

Perhaps having a few options would be better "Save Clothing Style" "Save Facial Features" "Save All" or something.
D'Lanor

Post by D'Lanor »

The morphs can be applied separately. The best way would be to have the save file include the morphs and let users decide at loading whether they want morphs applied along with the clothing or not.
realXCV

Post by realXCV »

You can also do the opposite: let the player choose to save the clothing with or without the morph. It could be useful if someone wants a group with the same clothing for everyone but not the same face.
Marten

Post by Marten »

I'm sure we can work out a compromise.

I think the simplest solution would be to always save the entire avatar, and have a checkbox when loading the avatar to let the player decide whether to import the clothing choices only, or the entire appearance. Default to import clothing only.

Putting the option at load time (rather than at save time) is more empowering to the person about to change their appearance.
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Marten wrote:Default to import clothing only.

Putting the option at load time (rather than at save time) is more empowering to the person about to change their appearance.
Yep. And default for the first time, but make the checkboxes sticky please.
Perfect speed is being there.
realXCV

Post by realXCV »

Marten wrote:Putting the option at load time (rather than at save time) is more empowering to the person about to change their appearance.
Both are empowering but not at the same time.
D'Lanor

Post by D'Lanor »

Our option is more empowering in that it allows users to change their minds. ;) If you saved without morphs and later decide that you do want them you are out of luck.

It is also easier to program since you only have to build "with or without" conditions into the loading routine.
realXCV

Post by realXCV »

On this aspect it's true that it's more empowering to have the choice at load time. What I had in mind was about sharing clothing options where the player would have more power by being able to choose if others can become clones or just wear the same cloths.
Marten

Post by Marten »

If a player doesn't want others to be able to adopt his or her appearance completely from loading a profile, I have this to say:

Nothing is stopping others from using the sliders to impersonate you anyway. :lol:

Return to “Suggestions”