Client: StarLion's KI Overhaul

Community, Project, and Forum Suggestions

Moderator: OpenUru.org Moderators

DarK

Re: Client: StarLion's KI Overhaul

Post by DarK »

Grogyan wrote:The mock up I did, doesn't travel across the the whole width of the screen, so you can fit more tabs if you wish.

If you want more tabs that what be filled on screen then I suppose we would have to look at horizontal scroll buttons or scroll bar, working in tandem with the mouse wheel scroll

Looking much like this

Please Please Please read my posts!!!!!!!!! :evil:

How do we go about indicating a new message on a tab that is currently not in view?
Grogyan

Post by Grogyan »

I did read, re read, and re read.

See the picture I posted last
DarK wrote:
Grogyan wrote:The mock up I did, doesn't travel across the the whole width of the screen, so you can fit more tabs if you wish.

If you want more tabs that what be filled on screen then I suppose we would have to look at horizontal scroll buttons or scroll bar, working in tandem with the mouse wheel scroll

Looking much like this
Please Please Please read my posts!!!!!!!!! :evil:

How do we go about indicating a new message on a tab that is currently not in view?
That last part, how about auto/manual ordering based on priorities, meaning that if there is a message in another tab that is out of view, it would snap to the right most of the "Local"?

Prefix IM <group name>:
In the local chat box to know that you have received a message from a group/party

when there is a new message in another tab, it could change to a different colour?

remember that you don't always have to have a chat tab open

The scrolling of chat tabs isn't a problem for the user in SL, so it shouldn't be a problem here either

There are kinks to the model I admit, and they are just ideas
realXCV

Post by realXCV »

Grogyan wrote:
realXCV wrote:Where is the button to capture a marker ?
I've moved it to the Lower right button in the Mini KI, its previously been unused, and seeing as the KI has more functions associated with GPS, I reckon this is a good spot to put it
I think it was used but not as a button.

I suppose you will put the jalak button at the same place.
Grogyan

Post by Grogyan »

My proposed suggestion is to put the extended KI buttons button where what is now the mute button.
The mute feature would move to the settings tab inside the Big KI

Again cause the possibility of having more extended KI functions will be possible, its best to have a permanent button to open and close those buttons
Lehm

Post by Lehm »

I like the idea of the party system brought up earlier. That makes so much more sense than the current method of have to share every link with every person in your group. With people in a party they'd just automatically end up in the same instance of an age.
Grogyan

Post by Grogyan »

Lehm wrote:I like the idea of the party system brought up earlier. That makes so much more sense than the current method of have to share every link with every person in your group. With people in a party they'd just automatically end up in the same instance of an age.

I like it also, but not to replace the current setup, to add a person 1 by 1

1) Create a party chat channel
2) Party shared links are automatic with persons in party
3) Once the initial party is made, anyone within the party can recruit more
4) Dissolving the party would still have to be done by the person who initiated it
5) Chat channel would also disappear

Add a friend who is not a party member to the Age your party exploring,
this is the current setup, and it means that even if the party is dissolved that friend would still have a seperate invite to that Age
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

I hate to interlope and sound critical here, but I'm not sure that this whole chat thing makes sense in an IC kind of way. Well, it doesn't to me anyway :? . Anyway, just take this as a kind of "Devil's Advocate" view :) .

Let me say first, that the idea of "party channels" as a more organised alternative to the Buddy list makes a lot of sense. I like that.

The reason we have on-screen text chat in the first place is because not everyone can use voice chat and communicate "naturally" when they meet in the cavern (and voice chat can be a lag inducer anyway). It's not really part of the Ki. You can chat before you even get a Ki, so it's all a bit of a fudge. Sure, there are defects in the current system, but it is a system I can put an RL spin on: There's the main conversation going on immediately around me, buddy messages are like cell-phone calls and Ki-mails are like SMS/MMS messages.

In RL, I struggle to follow any more that two conversations in the same room with people I can see, and from an IC perspective I don't know why I should expect to do better as an explorer. The fact that something is possible doesn't mean it is right, and I'm sure there are other people besides me who can't see much use for this. What I'm getting at, I guess, is that the above discussion isn't doing a whole lot to sell me the idea of why I'd want this upgrade.

Also, synchronising channel membership across clients, message filtering, etc., must all add to server and client load, and if it came to a choice between minimising lag effects or adding features then I'd probably opt for the former. But maybe I worry too much ;)
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
Grogyan

Post by Grogyan »

I just pretend I have a palm pilot or similar device in the other hand which talks via radio to the KI.

Hey so its not IC, but text chat will be open virtually all the time anyhow, so I guess it might as well be part of the KI UI

Another idea struck my mind an hour or so ago, well 2 things
1) It as requested last year when we had the round table discussions, that it would help loads if you could copy and paste text into and out of the game
2) History, when you receive KI mail, marker games and images from someone, as well as being saved on the server, maybe its a good idea if they get saved to your local hard drive in the directory
C:\Documents and Settings\<your name>\My Documents\My Games\MOOSE\KI Mail

A lot of games now are using this structure to save certain things, like save games and mods
AlKaera

Post by AlKaera »

Hello and thanks Marten for starting this KI subject. Thanks also for all the veteran input so far, especially the some main characters, StarLion, DarK and Grogyan..ehh Marten too.
I'm doing two things here:
1. Is to request a new feature for the KI that gives Guilds the ability to 'post' announcements of major Guild happenings (Headline Only) to the general explorer community. Similar in feature to how the DRC sent out messages to everyone.
As an addition the Guild happening (full context) can be sent via Guild Memeber KI to the working Imagers. Removing the Headline and the full context would remain under the control of the Guild that sent it.
Any 'GUILD' that doesn't want this feature available to them, can 'opt out' via a separate function. (which means they can 'opt in' later when they change their mind.
[This came up in a discussion over at GoMe in July '08 GoMe Wishes for MORE Thanks once again Marten. :)

2. the other reason for this post, is that I was exhorted to ACT instead of just post a "Question The 'In' Box'' on this forum by JWPlatt. So, in action, I have compiled a list of relevent forum posts to try and gather as much KI input as possible. This may include a few, leave it like it is OR let's go back to the 'old one', topics.
The two or so referenced here already have been taken off the list.
I say in conclusion, that if Marten hadn't started this post ahead of me, it would have happened anyway as I may find JW to be a force to be reckoned with. :P
Here goes;
Forum Section Search 'KI Interface'
MOUL Suggestions
Calam - Should the UI be simplified (Poll) Calam

MOUL Discussion Spoiler Free
Erik KI Age Player list? Erik
Karakadann link Karakadann
A KI question KI Question
Rudolfson No KI needed at all !!! Rudolfson
Ed Oscuro Ed Oscuro
Gondor Gondor
Murray, D'Lanor.. No, use KI like UU Murray, D'Lanor
Gondar OverHaul the KI April 20th 2008 Gondar
The Noble Robot KI light The Noble Robot
Jahuti Bevin Chat beta link Jahuti

MOUL Technical
Gondar Chat dynamic image?? Gondar

MOUL Open Source Technical
Rusty Russel uru API Rusty Russel
DarK web based KI mail DarK

Guild of Maintainers:
Dot KI chat tech. Dot
Dot 'In Cavern' KI problem posted. In cavern chat log discussion may still be available. Chat log

Guild of Writers:
General Discussion <Uru Redefined! Proposal List> - Yali started; various quotes to current KI mods. These are outside the
Dedicated new & improved KI thread already linked in this thread.
Uru Redefined! Proposal List

AlKaera
KI 05969479 Unbound Hearts of D'ni 'Only the way a man is when he is hidden, is how he is.'
Member: Guild of Messengers The Guild is not responsibile for the individual views or opinions of it's members.
Marten

Post by Marten »

Christian Walther wrote:And by the way, just to make that clear, parties are no substitute for multiple buddy lists, another often-requested feature. They serve different, independent needs. Parties are shared and symmetric (if I see someone in party X, they also see me in party X, and getting someone into a party requires their consent), buddy lists are private (when I add someone to my buddy list, they don't notice, and don't automatically have me on their buddy list).
Buddy lists, even multiple buddy lists, are fine for organizational purposes but should not be tied to chatting.

Do not ask me to recount how often I had to ask people who'd added me to their buddy lists, without consent, to remove me because I was being spammed when they paged hello to everyone on their buddy list... or worse, paged a spoiler about something they'd just found.

Chat needs to be symmetric (as you put it). People need a way to opt in and out of receiving chat from a list of chatters.

PS: Impressive list, Al'Kaera!
The music is reversible, but time is not.

Return to “Suggestions”