Where to Begin (The Game)

Community, Project, and Forum Suggestions

Moderator: OpenUru.org Moderators

JWPlatt

Re: Where to Begin (The Game)

Post by JWPlatt »

Surely it's possible to do multiuser code properly for elements in a public space?
Perfect speed is being there.
realXCV

Post by realXCV »

Gehn, lord of ages wrote:Hmm, I see a few solutions
1. Allow it. If people really want to bring that many people, they're kind of inviting lag.
2. Have Yeesha's hologram disappear or close the book after one person links through.
3. Have it disappear or close the book after a couple people go through. Have several spots that it puts them in before freezing them (they link in to slightly different positions, or some of the shuffle around to make room), and then have it stop letting more people link when all these spots are filled.
4. Have the book only work for the person who has the instance, or only for the person who plugs in the code.
Forget solutions 2 and 3 unless you replace the hologram by the real Yeesha.
Gehn, lord of ages wrote:Public spaces can't have puzzles.
Yes they can.
Lehm

Post by Lehm »

Well I'm not saying its impossible. If someone wants to try...well good luck. More than the techincal aspect, why would you want a public space with puzzles? The point of a puzzle is to figure out how to solve it. In a public space the people who know will just run right through it anyway. Puzzles are best left to instances. The only ages that had public puzzles were the garden ages. So I know it CAN be done...question is it a good idea. In any case the cleft puzzles weren't designed for a large group to be solving them.
realXCV

Post by realXCV »

They weren't even designed to be solved by a group.
Gehn, lord of ages

Post by Gehn, lord of ages »

realXCV wrote:
Gehn, lord of ages wrote:Hmm, I see a few solutions
1. Allow it. If people really want to bring that many people, they're kind of inviting lag.
2. Have Yeesha's hologram disappear or close the book after one person links through.
3. Have it disappear or close the book after a couple people go through. Have several spots that it puts them in before freezing them (they link in to slightly different positions, or some of the shuffle around to make room), and then have it stop letting more people link when all these spots are filled.
4. Have the book only work for the person who has the instance, or only for the person who plugs in the code.
Forget solutions 2 and 3 unless you replace the hologram by the real Yeesha.
Why, exactly? Is it impossible to have the hologram react (in such a minor way) to the explorer's actions? I think the hologram technology is a lot more advanced than that needed to recognize when a person links.
Lehm wrote:Public spaces can't have puzzles.
Yes they can.
Fixed.
why would you want a public space with puzzles? The point of a puzzle is to figure out how to solve it. In a public space the people who know will just run right through it anyway. Puzzles are best left to instances. The only ages that had public puzzles were the garden ages. So I know it CAN be done...question is it a good idea. In any case the cleft puzzles weren't designed for a large group to be solving them.
As an abstract question, I could see reasons for public spaces with puzzles (puzzles that were made for such cases). I do agree, though, that the Cleft's specific puzzles wouldn't be that good in public. In a group* it would be fine (in fact, some parts could be even better - scouring the place for journey cloths, sending someone to relay Zandi's messages to the rest, being able to test when you thought you had the windmill working and all), but I don't think it would do as well public.

*A specific group of people who purposefully gathered together to go through the Age.
My posts represent the views of me, Gehn, lord of ages, and not any companies or groups which I don't belong to. :D
realXCV

Post by realXCV »

Gehn, lord of ages wrote:Why, exactly? Is it impossible to have the hologram react (in such a minor way) to the explorer's actions? I think the hologram technology is a lot more advanced than that needed to recognize when a person links.
because an hologram is a pre-recorded message.
Gehn, lord of ages

realXCV wrote:
Gehn, lord of ages wrote:Why, exactly? Is it impossible to have the hologram react (in such a minor way) to the explorer's actions? I think the hologram technology is a lot more advanced than that needed to recognize when a person links.
because an hologram is a pre-recorded message.
True. That doesn't mean it can't have some programming (telling it to hold the book open until a certain time). Pre-recorded things can easily be made interactive. Myst (and all the following games in the series), for example, was entirely pre-recorded.

By having the hologram loop the image of her standing there, or freeze it in one place, or whatever technique - Yeesha could make sure that the book would stay open even if an explorer took awhile (while not having to just stand around for hours when recording it), and then could have it "turn off" afterwards because she wouldn't want the imager to just stay on forever.
My posts represent the views of me, Gehn, lord of ages, and not any companies or groups which I don't belong to. :D
realXCV

Post by realXCV »

Gehn, lord of ages wrote:Pre-recorded things can easily be made interactive. Myst (and all the following games in the series), for example, was entirely pre-recorded.
It works OOC but not IC.
By having the hologram loop the image of her standing there, or freeze it in one place, or whatever technique - Yeesha could make sure that the book would stay open even if an explorer took awhile (while not having to just stand around for hours when recording it), and then could have it "turn off" afterwards because she wouldn't want the imager to just stay on forever.
She closes the book after some time. Just not immediately after the player uses it.
Gehn, lord of ages

realXCV wrote:
Gehn, lord of ages wrote:Pre-recorded things can easily be made interactive. Myst (and all the following games in the series), for example, was entirely pre-recorded.
It works OOC but not IC.
Huh? What I was trying to say was that Myst is entirely prerecorded, yet is also interactive. Therefore, such things are easily possible in real life (and therefore they would not be out of place in Uru).
She closes the book after some time. Just not immediately after the player uses it.
But wouldn't it be easier from the IC recording side to just have the thing loop or freeze there and then revert once a person has linked? That way, Yeesha doesn't have to worry about cutting the thing too short (and have hesitant or slow players miss it), or going too long (which would be annoying to record just standing there, and would just be unnecessary [and if the Cleft is expected to have anyone else around IC, then you wouldn't want them just wandering in and linking through without any of the journey before it]).
realXCV

Post by realXCV »

Gehn, lord of ages wrote:Huh? What I was trying to say was that Myst is entirely prerecorded, yet is also interactive. Therefore, such things are easily possible in real life (and therefore they would not be out of place in Uru).
Myst is prerecorded if you look at it as a game. But from an in-game perspective, there's no prerecording at all (when dealing with characters). When Atrus asks you for the white page, OOC it loops until you click on his hand with the page. IC, he waits for the page because he's there. Not an hologram.
But wouldn't it be easier from the IC recording side to just have the thing loop or freeze there and then revert once a person has linked? That way, Yeesha doesn't have to worry about cutting the thing too short (and have hesitant or slow players miss it), or going too long (which would be annoying to record just standing there, and would just be unnecessary [and if the Cleft is expected to have anyone else around IC, then you wouldn't want them just wandering in and linking through without any of the journey before it]).
If a player is too slow or hesitant, he just has to restart it. Have you ever watched the whole recording without using the book? There's plenty of time for the player to touch the book.

Return to “Suggestions”