Where to Begin (The Game)

Community, Project, and Forum Suggestions

Moderator: OpenUru.org Moderators

Gehn, lord of ages

Re: Where to Begin (The Game)

Post by Gehn, lord of ages »

realXCV wrote:
Gehn, lord of ages wrote:So could you elaborate on why logging into a 'hood should not be an option?
Do you really want to wait 20 minutes just to get into the game?
No, but that's why it would only be as an option. Some people want the experience, and maybe they also would have small population 'hoods and good technology (or a lot of patience). Unless it's a major tech problem, takes a lot of work, or needs a big annoying bit of interface, I think it would be fine.
My posts represent the views of me, Gehn, lord of ages, and not any companies or groups which I don't belong to. :D
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

The argument realXCV makes for not using a 'hood as starting place holds for using any public place as a start point, which is why I made my comment about possibly needing to instance any multiplayer game starting location, but it goes more so for a 'hood: You wouldn't want multiple instances of a 'hood and you wouldn't necessarily find it acceptable to limit the number of members a 'hood has. Dropping someone into some random hood when their "own" one is full would be disorienting.
I guess Ghen's counter-argument about it only being an option doesn't really hold water since, as things stand, you wouldn't know the 'hood was busy until you link in, by which time it's too late to change your mind.

Even if you argue that not too many 'hood groups would end up having 30+ members all wanting to join or meet at the same time, the rules of scaleability mean that the game would need to be able to handle such a demand. I suppose that once you get to some threshold of players in a hood, you could stop players linking directly to that 'hood on startup, and force them to go Relto -> Nexus -> 'Hood.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
Lehm

Post by Lehm »

realXCV wrote: Do you really want to wait 20 minutes just to get into the game?
This might currently be a problem, but doesn't mean it always will. Besides how many people are really going to be starting the game at the exact same time. I don't think it will be as big of a deal as you are thinking.
realXCV

Post by realXCV »

Mac_Fife wrote:The argument realXCV makes for not using a 'hood as starting place holds for using any public place as a start point,
Not exactly. It only holds for places with no population limit.
which is why I made my comment about possibly needing to instance any multiplayer game starting location, but it goes more so for a 'hood: You wouldn't want multiple instances of a 'hood and you wouldn't necessarily find it acceptable to limit the number of members a 'hood has. Dropping someone into some random hood when their "own" one is full would be disorienting.
I guess Ghen's counter-argument about it only being an option doesn't really hold water since, as things stand, you wouldn't know the 'hood was busy until you link in, by which time it's too late to change your mind.
putting a limit on hood population/members is actually out of question.
Even if you argue that not too many 'hood groups would end up having 30+ members all wanting to join or meet at the same time, the rules of scaleability mean that the game would need to be able to handle such a demand. I suppose that once you get to some threshold of players in a hood, you could stop players linking directly to that 'hood on startup, and force them to go Relto -> Nexus -> 'Hood.
Isn't that a bit inconsistent?
Lehm wrote:This might currently be a problem, but doesn't mean it always will. Besides how many people are really going to be starting the game at the exact same time. I don't think it will be as big of a deal as you are thinking.
The problem isn't only about thoses who want to start at the same time but also thoses who are already there at that time.
Lehm

Post by Lehm »

realXCV wrote: The problem isn't only about thoses who want to start at the same time but also thoses who are already there at that time.
My point was that its my hope that improving latency will be one of the things to come out of Open Source. So we don't have to worry about how many people are in a certain space. There will always be lag in games, but the way that Uru handles it...could be better.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

realXCV wrote:
Mac_Fife wrote:The argument realXCV makes for not using a 'hood as starting place holds for using any public place as a start point,
Not exactly. It only holds for places with no population limit.
Agreed. Which is why the next comment comes...
which is why I made my comment about possibly needing to instance any multiplayer game starting location, but it goes more so for a 'hood: You wouldn't want multiple instances of a 'hood and you wouldn't necessarily find it acceptable to limit the number of members a 'hood has. Dropping someone into some random hood when their "own" one is full would be disorienting.
putting a limit on hood population/members is actually out of question.
Again, agreed.
Isn't that a bit inconsistent?
Undoubtedly. I was trying to illustrate how silly some of the logistics might become.
Lehm wrote:This might currently be a problem, but doesn't mean it always will. Besides how many people are really going to be starting the game at the exact same time. I don't think it will be as big of a deal as you are thinking.
The problem isn't only about thoses who want to start at the same time but also thoses who are already there at that time.
Yep. I went through Lehm's thought process and arrived at realXCV's response. Take "The Meeting Place" 'hood as a prime example of a hood where members (and friends) regularly met and chatted for a couple of hours. In-game events could make a particular 'hood really busy, and end up effectively blocking hood members trying to join the game. Any mechanisms need to work with within the limitations we have now, not what we might have in the future otherwise it'll just look "broken".

Thoughts mature as you think through more and more of the implications. What might have seemed a reasonable scheme several posts back might not look such a bright idea now :? . That's the development process and why these forums are so useful: You can throw ideas around and discover what works and what doesn't, what's popular and what isn't before you waste time and energy coding something.

Ignoring the details of "where" for the moment, I'd wonder what the "market research" would say on this:
  1. Do people want a new game to start a) Single player, b) Multi-player, c) Choice of either or d) Don't care
  2. Do people want to resume a game in a) Single player, b) Multi-player c) Choice of either or d) Don't care
At this point I'm not convinced that this thread isn't chasing something that the majority of players may not even want...
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
realXCV

Post by realXCV »

Gehn, lord of ages wrote:an idea of which developments would be supported and implemented,
One shard starts in the Cleft, another in Relto, another in hood, another in Teledahn...
One shard has all of its ages multiplayer only, another one has them as singleplayer only and a third one has both singleplayer and multiplayer ages.
Lehm

Post by Lehm »

realXCV wrote: One shard starts in the Cleft, another in Relto, another in hood, another in Teledahn...
One shard has all of its ages multiplayer only, another one has them as singleplayer only and a third one has both singleplayer and multiplayer ages.
You forgot the shard that hates 3d and so all the ages have been redone Riven style.
VoiZod

Post by VoiZod »

Lehm wrote:
realXCV wrote: One shard starts in the Cleft, another in Relto, another in hood, another in Teledahn...
You forgot the shard that hates 3d and so all the ages have been redone Riven style.
I always wondered why a RealRiven wasn't made? ie; like RealMyst was.

But The True way Cyan had invisioned was to have this all play out as if you were watching a movie, BUT You one of many people 'Drawn to this area' for some unknown reason,
basicly puts you as the Star of that Movie! so its IC but made to be as emerssive and real as possible. The cleft is were you start (and later multi player when you reach the hoods and
the city). URU starts off where Riven left off, The telescope and you fall into the StarFissure and its out near the cleft (URU) is where the StarFissure spits you back out!
So naturaly you should start this game from the Cleft.

Everyone who has follow Cyan and the Myst series knows that URU has a curse I will call it.
and that is the game has a black cloud around it called in laymans terms; unforseen problems
which don't manifest until its almost 'Too Late!' like the latest BIG ONE when Cyans licence
ran out on the Havok physics engine two months or so before GT was to open up MOUL!
I MUST say I'm still jaw dropped on how fast Cyan was in finding a new physics engine for MOUL and then porting as much of the game as possible over to the new 'PhyX' engine
Which inavertnly broke the much loved Gareseen wall game, to name the most noticable
change from UURU to MOUL. My hat is still off to this feat! Great JOB guys and gals at cyan.

But now with MOULa up , this changes things alot and I personaly want , what IMHO Rand
had envisioned for URU but that curse hampered all attemts at accomplishing it.
Now maybe this time... only time will tell.

This vision: get and look at the Map Atrus used down to the D'ni city.
This Map you get to keep because you will NEED it as you virtualy walk in Atruses footsteps
Down the same paths that Ti'ana and Gehn took down to D'ni.
(incert Myst5 Decent here with added tunnel doors that actualy go through now! etc.)
The rest of the desent still has to be made(where the writers guild could come in) or got off the drawing board. Ae'gura is ONLY the center island in the cavern there was many islands and communities along the outter inner walls of the cavern surrounding the central lake. the South Gate entrance to this huge chamber cavern was riddled with paths and tunnels connecting smaller chamber caverns together on the way to the Great Shaft.

Now that sounds totaly Rock'in BUT the size of it and the machanics and tieing in Storyline NPCs etc. a nightmare to empliment and the money needed... enuff said
Work with whats there and actualy build/restore some of the things in the city
like opening up the Guild Hall fixing the broken off walkways, opening up the buildings
with O/S we could code in meshes and texture them for the buildings stairways add in
more tunnels and such, (through a lot of D'ni they used tunnel hallways and rooms built
into the stone walls themselfs. there is so much which we don't ever see or know about because of this.

Do you see how I'm talking URU is supposed to be taken as if it was real. so IC&OOC
are mixed together because we are making our own new history, Cyan's roll is the Maker
now with MOULa The age making and other Tools Rand said in a interview would be
comming out with the latest encarnation of URU with GameTap MOUL, This never happened. Now maybe it will with MOULa and also a full reintragration of M5 and user made ages content will change URU even more. The main problem I still see has always been
the communacation of the ancient D'ni KI device doesn't have a chat group function
aka SL chat groups. and Need more KI room for screenshots taken via the KI like have
a slider for the amount of space you want to allot to photos and notes etc.

"We are all URU" there is no IC or OOC really. Only Cyan has IC talking to us Explorers
its just like what everyone but maybe a few does is we make our charactors name, differant from our real name. so really we all are IC but do everything OOC :mrgreen:
anyone get what I'm trying to say here? :?

*Scraches his head* and jumps off soapbox :roll: Sorry if I got a bit side tracked :lol:
realXCV

Post by realXCV »

VoiZod wrote:URU starts off where Riven left off, The telescope and you fall into the StarFissure and its out near the cleft (URU) is where the StarFissure spits you back out!
So naturaly you should start this game from the Cleft.
"Where" but not "when". There are about 200 years between Riven and Uru.

Return to “Suggestions”