Forum Link + Home/About

Community, Project, and Forum Suggestions

Moderator: OpenUru.org Moderators

Post Reply
Stucuk
Member
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 8:22 am

Forum Link + Home/About

Post by Stucuk » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:33 pm

I think there should be a forum link in the header, just like there is a Wiki one. Either that or make the community bit a dropdown menu. Would make it easier for people to find the forum.

I also think the Home and About sections should be merged. They both sound like an About page.
Image
-Stu

User avatar
Mac_Fife
Member
Posts: 1229
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:38 am
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Re: Forum Link + Home/About

Post by Mac_Fife » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:01 pm

We did debate having a button that linked directly to the forum, but we also wanted to make sure that people had an opportunity to
a) read the instructions on how to post here, and
b) see that there were other things like blogs too.
Wiki got floated to the top because we thought we'd need to get people there quickly for the information about CWE and MOSS.

I've still got the pencilled notes lying here on my desk of the various schemes we considered:
Home | Forums | Wiki | Blogs | Development | Downloads | About,
Home | Forums | Wiki | Downloads | Tools | About,
etc., with various sub-menus underneath

In time, I might get drop-downs working. There was a snag with the couple of methods I tried for doing those that did wierd things to our page layout, so I parked that while there was more productive things I could have been doing.

Home is maybe a bit "samey" with About just now, but it's not meant to be that way long term. Home should be more of a "Here's the latest news and the places you can go".
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler

Stucuk
Member
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 8:22 am

Re: Forum Link + Home/About

Post by Stucuk » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:38 pm

Mac_Fife wrote:a) read the instructions on how to post here, and
That fails to work. Most people read from left to right. I never read the bit on the right until now because of that(Once i found what i wanted i just clicked on the link). I would imagine there are alot of people like me who won't read every bit of information on a page.
Mac_Fife wrote:In time, I might get drop-downs working. There was a snag with the couple of methods I tried for doing those that did wierd things to our page layout, so I parked that while there was more productive things I could have been doing.
Dropdown's shouldn't effect the page layout. They should be hidden elements on the page until they are needed.
Mac_Fife wrote:Home is maybe a bit "samey" with About just now, but it's not meant to be that way long term. Home should be more of a "Here's the latest news and the places you can go".
Id recommend renaming it to News then. Unless it will have other features.
Image
-Stu

Post Reply

Return to “Suggestions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests