Mobile/Remote Access to Uru

Community, Project, and Forum Suggestions

Moderator: OpenUru.org Moderators

Marten

Mobile/Remote Access to Uru

Post by Marten »

First, a small bit of background.

Prior to the introduction of Until Uru, some talented people developed a patch for Uru that would allow players to chat with each other in their independent, offline copies of the game by networking the chat system through Internet Relay Chat ("IRC"). This modification was dubbed KIRC. Perhaps more importantly, interested persons who knew the IRC server and chat channel being used by KIRC could also sign in without a copy of URU and could potentially participate in conversations.

A few months ago, Second Life released a beta (now withdrawn) of an instant messaging client dubbed SLim, or Second Life Instant Messaging. Although the client was sufficiently flawed that it received some very bad reviews, the concept was a nice one - to allow players without the ability to run the full Second Life client to engage in discussions with other players in Second Life by essentially logging into SL without an avatar (and without the 3D environment), providing access to the game's built-in communication system.

For well over a year, rumors have abounded that Blizzard was working on some mobile version of World of Warcraft. In an MTV interview dated February 13, 2008, Blizzard co-founder Frank Pierce revealed that Blizzard wouldn't be bringing the full WoW game to mobile platforms, but that they did see a market for mobile applications to "enhance the 'World of Warcraft' experience." From that intereview:
Pearce said he was excited — and then cut himself off. Maybe it was too soon to say more? But he couldn't resist and reached into his pocket for his BlackBerry. He produced it, looked at the screen and started dreaming out loud: "I have an application on my BlackBerry. It's a Google app called Google Chat. It's an IM client, and it's really cool. So as an example, one thing I think would be really cool — and whether we're going to be able to do this, I don't know, but it would be really cool — is if we could have a client on your mobile device like that that hooks you into your guild chat in the game. That would be really cool. Or the ability to view your in-game mail or view your in-game auctions. We probably wouldn't allow you to actually buy or sell via the mobile device, but you could certainly monitor."
And just a few days ago, Massively.com published an article about a November presentation from CCP Games, producers of the popular game EVE Online. CCP is apparently interested in working with MIT students to improve the API (application programming interface) to EVE so that new mobile functionality, such as access to in-game mail from outside, could be possible. And already, there are several applications for Apple's hugely popular iPhone that relate to EVE Online, such as the EVE Tracker that allows a player to access his or her game character and review current stats, allowing the player to plan his or her next move in advance while away from the game.

So what can we do for Uru? Here are a few thoughts.

Instant Messager Plugins
* Plugin for Cerulean Studios' Trillian
* Plugin for the open source IM client Pidgin
* Plugin for Google Talk
* Plugin for the popular Macintosh IM client Adium

Other Chat
* A KIRC or KIRC-like gateway; this could connect to a KIRC chat channel within the game, or perhaps all chat channels on the KIRC server could be connected into the game on channels prepended with a tag like "irc_".

Rewards
A silly little app - A program for iPhone or similar, that shows the player's Relto (the player would not be able to link elsewhere). The remote player could activate/deactivate relto pages and the view of Relto would update. Upon the player's next login, Relto would look as the player had last set it from the mobile application.

Webcams
View the current DRC Webcam from your mobile phone. During events, the webcam could be placed (by shard administrator) in an appropriate location so that remote viewers, with their chat interfaces too, can feel more like participants. (Something like this might have helped more players participate during the Scars episode.)
The music is reversible, but time is not.
Lehm

Re: Mobile/Remote Access to Uru

Post by Lehm »

It would be interesting if the concept were not only to allow for chat externally for the game, but also as a connection between the different distros of Uru. So that if I'm playing Xuru and you're playing Yuru, we can still see each other in our buddy lists. It should be possible to do that entirely on the client side, so that no additional burden is put on the server. Of coarse all the dev teams would have to agree on a standard.
DarK

Post by DarK »

Lehm wrote:It should be possible to do that entirely on the client side, so that no additional burden is put on the server.
If you are doing anything with the server its a "burden"

If you make a connection, the server has to use resources to maintain it.

Some nice ideas here, but I would suggest holding off untill we actually understand more about what we are getting and what we need to be doing to get Uru up and running again, we can then start adding afterwards.
Marten

Post by Marten »

If KIRC were added, inter-server chat could use that.
Lehm

Post by Lehm »

DarK wrote:
Lehm wrote:It should be possible to do that entirely on the client side, so that no additional burden is put on the server.
If you are doing anything with the server its a "burden"
The game server wouldn't be invoved at all if the client were directly communicating with a centralized chat server or perhaps directly to other clients.
a'moaca'

Post by a'moaca' »

For messaging, I would write a Jabber/XMPP proxy. Then if a shard wanted to support IM they would run the proxy and people could run any IM client that supports the regular Jabber protocol. The shard server would only have to talk to the proxy, like kIRC. If you wanted to glue together different shards I guess that would be some other Jabber hackery but I suspect something like that already exists.

I never used kIRC but I had a very simple working proof-of-concept IM client in the UU days. [So simple only a command-line geek could love it!] Since we didn't have the opportunity to change the server, this client actually logged you in as an avatar and linked you to an age I named "Surface Relay". So others in the game simply got inter-age chat from the KI relay. I thought that worked just fine for making it clear that it wasn't an in-game chatter. In that scheme I also thought it should be the case that people could have toggle of some sort in the KI to make them invisible or visible to "surface" chatters. I have a whole writeup on this I could dig up.

The problem I ran into with a proxy was keeping passwords safe. If the client-side (Jabber here) protocol requires a different password in a different format than the server-side (Uru) then the proxy would have to associate two names/passwords with each other. This was a problem with UU where in theory the shard didn't have anyone's password at all so one would have had to register two passwords with whoever ran the proxy (yuck!). So then I got about 3/4 of the way through a custom proxy for UU...

Now we can change the Uru side of it to accept and validate passwords any way we want, which is why I'd go with the most adaptable standard protocol. The proxy also wouldn't need to do the whole vault download process, if the server protocol has another hook added for only grabbing the buddy list/ignore information.

If we wanted the IM client to show what age a person is in, that would require some investigation. I don't really know the Jabber protocol, I only looked at it briefly back when before giving up over the passwords. However, Jabber does have a location-type field in its presence information so it might be as easy as that. If we wanted the client to display it more like the KI chat that might require a custom plugin, but I think as long as chat works well enough with a standard plugin, we are doing something right.

So all told, I think with minimal hooks added to the server a proxy would work great. The Uru server would be able to maintain far less state for all the IM connections than for a normal connection. Most of the work would be pushing updates of the presence information. Though we know the MOUL server didn't really do that so well... but seriously, one proxy with a common "vault" registering interest only in player info nodes has got to handle many more people with less work than one person parked in Relto just for the sake of chatting. Personally I think worrying about server load for this has the wrong end of the stick. Make the IM-related server load small and simple and the IM will help you out.

- a'moaca'
DarK

Post by DarK »

Intresting Ideas, and certainly some work has gone into it

However I think its a bit counterproductive I relation to "playing Uru", but there we go :)

Personally if I want to talk someone while their in game I usually go into the game to do it, While I'm out and about I've got more things to worry about than who is in Uru I could talk to.
Marten

Post by Marten »

I completely agree that getting Uru, some form of it, up and running is priority #1.

But I am also thinking of all the times that I was at work and I wanted a way to find out what was happening in the cavern, and to somehow be a part of it, even though I was working.
Owehn

Post by Owehn »

I would love to see a small, auxiliary program with all the functionality of the big KI, but without the client-side baggage of 3d rendering. Essentially, I'd like to open my KI on the surface, able to send and receive KI mail and invites, manage my preferences and groups, and chat with anyone I would be able to ingame. IM plugins would be welcome, but a'moaca' raises a good point of security in handling passwords.

Return to “Suggestions”