Conflict - Rewards

Community, Project, and Forum Suggestions

Moderator: OpenUru.org Moderators

Gehn, lord of ages

Re: Conflict - Rewards

Post by Gehn, lord of ages »

Mac_Fife wrote: I'm not dismissing the general concept of the suggestion, but I don't really buy that last statement: Relto pages have been found in DRC "approved" areas and many of the "rotating donut" bits also came from DRC ages. In any case, irrespective of whether the IC persona of the avvie professes to be a follower of Yeesha or the DRC (or the Guilds, or whatever else) the person behind the mouse will want to visit all the available ages and collect all the "goodies" on offer :)
Okay, IC the non-Yeesha followers don't get any goodies.
I guess what your proposal does is create two differing sets of collectibles depending on which path you purport to follow. So, if I've got you right (and I know this is just a "sketch" at the moment) you'll only be able to "see" (or at least collect) the DRC reward markers if you've signed up to their programme. But what stops you also collecting Relto pages as you find them? - a modified Relto book that won't accept them? Or the other way round: As a DRC explorer, how do you decide (as some of the DRC are known to have done) to take Yeesha's journey? - Do you have to get your original Relto book back?
You can ask for your book back, or you can get kicked out (by being against the DRC/whatever other group) and get your book back. I think the Relto book won't accept them (either it's modified... or Yeesha's pages magically won't work with it...) or you can put them in, but if they get noticed you get kicked out. The DRC reward markers will be like the markers in To D'ni - how you had to get your KI adjusted first.

Okay, what do you all see as Pros and Cons?

for me the Pros are: Marker hunts like To D'ni again with a purpose (keeps people interested in old areas, nice reward, flexible), a somewhat workable two-way rewards system, and a more currencylike system (so each system is different)

Cons: several immersiveness issues, need of a DRC power or similar power
My posts represent the views of me, Gehn, lord of ages, and not any companies or groups which I don't belong to. :D
Tweek

Post by Tweek »

I just don't like the concept of people taking our books.
Gehn, lord of ages

Tweek wrote:I just don't like the concept of people taking our books.
Yes, that is logistically and otherwise problematic. How else are we to get rewards to Relto without Yeesha magic, though (without having to make special animations for each reward)? There would definitely be a lot of IC contract info to reassure privacy and other concerns, and OOC the books wouldn't be touchable. Also, only DRC/whatever program followers would have to give over their books.
My posts represent the views of me, Gehn, lord of ages, and not any companies or groups which I don't belong to. :D
Tweek

Post by Tweek »

How about a simple "I picked up a DRC cone and took it to my Relto as a laugh/memorial/other reason here", there we go, the Cone reward has been explained without Yeesha.

Sometimes I feel that here seems to be a mindset that it is all about Yeesha and the DRC, that they need to do everything, when they don't, and it's a mindset I'd like to see broken.

There is a rule in Role Playing where you don't RP someone else's character, I feel that forcing a hand over of Relto books infringes on this sentiment.
realXCV

Post by realXCV »

Why should we be forced to either follow Yeesha OR the DRC ?
Tweek

Post by Tweek »

Don't get me started on that, the lack of choice in Uru was something that really annoyed me.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

realXCV wrote:Why should we be forced to either follow Yeesha OR the DRC ?
I have to agree with that sentiment. The polemics that arise out of that are interesting as part of the back-story involving NPCs, but I don't really think it's helpful to "the game" when it starts to involve the real players.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
Gehn, lord of ages

This would be more choosing between a DRC safe Good Explorer Program or a Yeesha (or freelance if you want to avoid Yeesha as well) journey. There is no "combat" or differing objectives that you have to stay online for long times to make sure your side wins. This is just two different sets of rewards (one for those who value safety and control, one for those who value freedom and exploration)

For the "I picked up a DRC cone..." who is going to make the animation for every single thing you pick up? I would love to be able to do that, though (or to move my firemarbles to Kemo, etc.)

And Tweek, could you explain your statement about "forcing a hand over of Relto books"? Only people who wanted to participate in the Good Explorer Program would have to turn over their books. Of course, there'd have to be some incentive (IC and OOC), and the rewards program would be that. If I could figure out a way that wouldn't involve Relto Books (which are necessary to transport the rewards without hundreds of animations), I would tell you.
Tweek

Post by Tweek »

The reward mechanism means if you want those rewards you need to hand over your book, which is forcing people in a sense. As it stands you pick the rewards up yourself, so can ignore the ones you want/don't want and everyone can get them.

Even with my previous suggestion regarding a change in game play (picking Yeesha and getting Relto or taking the tunnels to D'ni and getting a D'ni house) I still provided a mechanism for people to get the same rewards without to much problem (not being forced to take the yeesha journey to get the rewards there if you took the D'ni path and so forth).

The community gets funny about equality, now having certain rewards for some groups (like in Prologue if you sided with Doug you got a specific jacket) worked because it was a single item of clothing not a bunch of rewards, and if there is an equal counterpart on the other side it again balances it out.
Gehn, lord of ages

Tweek wrote:The reward mechanism means if you want those rewards you need to hand over your book, which is forcing people in a sense. As it stands you pick the rewards up yourself, so can ignore the ones you want/don't want and everyone can get them.

Even with my previous suggestion regarding a change in game play (picking Yeesha and getting Relto or taking the tunnels to D'ni and getting a D'ni house) I still provided a mechanism for people to get the same rewards without to much problem (not being forced to take the yeesha journey to get the rewards there if you took the D'ni path and so forth).

The community gets funny about equality, now having certain rewards for some groups (like in Prologue if you sided with Doug you got a specific jacket) worked because it was a single item of clothing not a bunch of rewards, and if there is an equal counterpart on the other side it again balances it out.
I see. So it would be better to just have the Good Explorer Program without any requirements? That could work (because the location of the markers would be "keeping the explorers in safe areas" [yeah right], so it is more of a "baiting the explorers away from danger"). I do happen to like the marker points -> rewards strategy though. Maybe if the rewards were kept only at clothing and small easy to animate the avatar picking them up objects (like cones), then the Relto book handover would also not be necessary. The KI machine thing would just let you access it, somewhat like a vending machine (or maybe it has rooms of stuff that you can only open when you have enough marker switches? When you came into a room, you would only be allowed to pick one item before linking out (IC you do it voluntarily, but OOC it is automatic) or maybe just you can't pick up other things (I'm worried more about clothes, since you don't have to link back to Relto after picking up a new shirt, right?).

Return to “Suggestions”