Characteristics of D'ni Music

Ask away

Moderator: OpenUru.org Moderators

aander91

Characteristics of D'ni Music

Post by aander91 »

I'm trying to pinpoint what make the music D'nish. What instruments really give it the D'ni flavor or kick? What are some common D'ni intervals? Any ideas?
FlaviusJoe

Re: Characteristics of D'ni Music

Post by FlaviusJoe »

Probably still an open book. Listen to all the soundtracks, especially Myst 5, I'd say. (Myst 5 has an actual D'ni character and other strong references.)
Oliver

Post by Oliver »

Hello,

Some tropes I've noticed are:

Metal sounds - bowed, struck, plucked, rubbed together, etc.
Duduk
Giant bass drum
Middle-eastern percussion
Harmonic minor, phrygian and middle-eastern scales
Drone accompaniment
Choir
Throat-singing
That particular synth pad - hard to describe but probably not hard to emulate
Didgeridoo
Reverb
Loneliness
Dust

Anyway, check out the attempts of Turjan and me if you wish.

Oliver
Rhee

Post by Rhee »

I realize this question was asked a LONG time ago, but i have just recently been doing similar research, with the kind assistance and "point in the right direction"-ing of many others. I'm still wading through most of the info myself, but according to http://linguists.bahro.com/domahreh/dnimusic/index.html, the D'ni Musicological Society site, one of the quirks of D'ni music (at least the "classical" stuff) was its basis on 5 beats, rather than the two or three beat music we surface-dwellers are used to (5! Go figure lol). The site talks about common intervals and harmonies, and they also have an extensive explanation of D'ni music theory there, as well as info about instruments and composition. Lots of goodies!

Really hope this can help you in your quest for knowledge... even if it IS about two years late!

Return to “Questions”