Cloth?

Ask away

Moderator: OpenUru.org Moderators

zib_redlektab

Cloth?

Post by zib_redlektab »

I know that the Myst V version of the plasma engine supported dynamic cloth (as seen in the clothing of Esher and Yeesha), is this supported in the MOUL plasma engine?

This is definitely a feature I'd like to see, along with more realistic & dynamic avatars...
The stranger

Re: Cloth?

Post by The stranger »

Totally agree.
DarK

Post by DarK »

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=dviWZcphcIQ

PhysX does cloth, just depends on what is needed to use it in plasma, whether the areas of the engine will already have the correct stuff exposed to do it, or we will need to dig around and enable it.

Obviously this will have to be all done client side, and perhaps turned off on lower end machines to keep preformance of the game at expectable levels.

ODE was used in myst 5 not PhysX as well so mileage my vary :)

Anything that brings the game that much closer to current games standards i think is worth the effort :)
zib_redlektab

Post by zib_redlektab »

Also along similar lines (I think it would be related) - real hair. As in, flowing hair that isn't just a block sitting on your head. That would really help out everyone with long hair who hates ponytails :P
kaelisebonrai

Post by kaelisebonrai »

On a similar note, it'd be nice to use ODE rather than PhysX, Might be nice, anyways.
Grogyan

Post by Grogyan »

zib_redlektab wrote:Also along similar lines (I think it would be related) - real hair. As in, flowing hair that isn't just a block sitting on your head. That would really help out everyone with long hair who hates ponytails :P
This is by far the most important feature for ladies, that and customized hair styles

Going back to cloth, there really is only one way to find out if cloth is rendered in real time, an d that is to ask one of the PyPrp devs to do a quick test, they'll soo know.

However I am sure that Plasma cannot handle cloth physics in real time, and the animations that Cyan did, were probably pre rendered.

Might have to look at Yeesha to see how its done (MOUL and CC editions not Myst 5)
zib_redlektab

Post by zib_redlektab »

The animations in Myst V were not prerendered, all of the cutscenes in Myst V were done in real-time, so we know at least that version of plasma supports cloth.

Also I think switching the physics engine could have benefits, but I remember when cyan first switched Uru to physX from havoc...it was pretty nightmarish :roll:. Honestly, I don't know if any engine would have enough features to be worth the time to switch it over, not to mention the fact that we don't even know if we'll be allowed to change the engines like this.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

zib_redlektab wrote:The animations in Myst V were not prerendered, all of the cutscenes in Myst V were done in real-time, so we know at least that version of plasma supports cloth.
Dealing with one or two characters in a cut scene is one thing, but rendering flowing cloth and/or hair in a "live" scene with ten or twenty avatars running around could be different issue. OK, provided you offer graphics setting options to turn off the dynamics for the more "computationally challenged" client machines ;)
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
Marten

Post by Marten »

As I understand it, Cyan used ODE because it was free, not because it was good. They fought with various aspects of it and you can even find discussion from Cyan on the ODE mailing list from when they were working on Myst V.

http://www.ode.org/old_list_archives/20 ... 12577.html
The music is reversible, but time is not.
Grogyan

Post by Grogyan »

zib_redlektab wrote:The animations in Myst V were not prerendered, all of the cutscenes in Myst V were done in real-time, so we know at least that version of plasma supports cloth.

Also I think switching the physics engine could have benefits, but I remember when cyan first switched Uru to physX from havoc...it was pretty nightmarish :roll:. Honestly, I don't know if any engine would have enough features to be worth the time to switch it over, not to mention the fact that we don't even know if we'll be allowed to change the engines like this.

We all know Cyan made lots of mistakes with Uru

The animations are rendered in real time. however its quite likely that the cloth physics you see were "baked" to the animation before hand.

Max like Blender can pre render cloth physics so that they appear to be rendered in real time when they are not, when the sequence is played back in game (along with some other trickery)

Return to “Questions”