Github for OU.org?

Ask away

Moderator: OpenUru.org Moderators

JWPlatt

Re: Github for OU.org?

Post by JWPlatt »

I really, really like to see solutions following the complaints. Thanks Lyrositor.

I'll mention a couple of quick things on point before I go outside for some yardwork to beat the rain.

1. Thanks. Rarified especially has worked hard to make these tools available for those who can use them.

2. Mercurial and Bitbucket was an initial spec of mine before there was open source and before the GoW selected Git and Github. I've already covered why I believe Bitbucket is the better fit for us. We were slow to open the repos on Bitbucket, but responded quickly to implement our plan when the h'uru devs asked for a social repo with pull requests to make it easier than using Foundry's Atlassian tools like JIRA, etc. The point here was folks could use Bitbucket exclusively and it would show up on the Foundry tools we use. I think its synchronized automatically once or twice a day. An internal point about the triad of Foundry, this website and Bitbucket is that multiple servers could be totally down but the managed repos and would almost certainly still be publicly available somewhere. Why do you feel you have to know about Foundry mechanisms if you are working through Bitbucket?

3. The question of why we don't use Bitbucket repos exclusively and just point the tools there is a great question for rarified. I think that has been answered before, but I would encourage rarified for the short answer here. ;)
Perfect speed is being there.
Lyrositor

Post by Lyrositor »

JWPlatt wrote:We were slow to open the repos on Bitbucket, but responded quickly to implement our plan when the h'uru devs asked for a social repo with pull requests to make it easier than using Foundry's Atlassian tools like JIRA, etc.
But... since most of the major changes (see Gehn shard) are coming from H'uru, and that the Writers seem to prefer to use this social repo (I don't know if any use JIRA, so I'm just basing myself on that one sentence), why is there a need for another one, unless it's a backup? Doesn't that slow down development?
JWPlatt wrote:I think its synchronized automatically once or twice a day.
But Minkata isn't present on Bitbucket, and from what I understand, all changes first go through CWE-ou-minkata. This makes synchronization semi-useless from my point of view because the actual important changes aren't getting synchronized with Bitbucket until they've been officially tested, whereas Bitbucket is supposed to be the development repo for the Writers (see above quote).
JWPlatt wrote:An internal point about the triad of Foundry, this website and Bitbucket is that multiple servers could be totally down but the managed repos and would almost certainly still be publicly available somewhere.
Then why not make the Foundry repo the "archive" or "backup" repo, making Bitbucket the happening place? The Foundry is still down for me right now, and I've never experience downtime with Bitbucket so far.
JWPlatt wrote:I think that has been answered before
Could I have a link so that we don't need to re-hash previously stated facts & opinions?
Lyrositor
Explorer #16601888
To D'ni, or not to D'ni. There is no question.
Paradox

Post by Paradox »

JWPlatt wrote:An internal point about the triad of Foundry, this website and Bitbucket is that multiple servers could be totally down but the managed repos and would almost certainly still be publicly available somewhere.
While a central location is important for handling pull requests and such, the very nature of a distributed version control system means that there can be no single point of failure.
If BitBucket goes down, anyone that already has a clone can push it to a different hg host, or simply run `hg serve` to start their own hg server.
JWPlatt wrote:Why do you feel you have to know about Foundry mechanisms if you are working through Bitbucket?
Because it seems that aside from actually making the pull request, none of the reviewing takes place on BitBucket, so if you don't know about the Foundry mechanisms you have no way to participate.
As an example, see https://bitbucket.org/OpenUru_org/cwe-o ... mment-2128. There was no attempt to do code review in the BitBucket pull request, essentially forcing anyone that wants to know the status of their pull requests to know the Foundry mechanisms.

Return to “Questions”