Hello (again)

Ask away

Moderator: OpenUru.org Moderators

Nathan2055

Hello (again)

Post by Nathan2055 »

Howdy, you may know me if you have been around for a while. I'm Nathan2055 and was very active around here and at the GoW about a year ago. Most likely I left after having my plan for a Community Nexus shot right out of the air. Anyway, I'm back and am playing MO:ULa regularly with the explorer "Nathan2055_". I tried today to log back into the GoW forums and found that I'm logged right back out. I don't know why, and highly doubt I ever will, but I bet it has something to do with Dustin's resignation around the same time. So, I'm apparently back and I'm looking for a way to contribute to open source URU. Could someone lend me a hand? Thanks, Nathan
Nathan2055 (01307567) or Nathan2055_ (KI number pending) on MO:ULagain
JWPlatt

Re: Hello (again)

Post by JWPlatt »

Greetings,

Your timing is appropriate. We are recently considering the archival (mothballing) of inactive project forums here. Your "Community Nexus" project forum is on the list. If you would like to return to it and keep it active, please let us know by resuming your project. Active projects are a welcome sight and we are happy to keep them available. If I have any advice to give, don't let anyone, not anyone, take away your vision and enthusiasm for what you enjoy doing. Just do it and maybe it won't work out, but maybe it will. It definitely won't if you allow others to persuade you that it won't. My other advice is to stay objective and keep politics out of it, as difficult as that is; look to the future instead of lamenting the past.
Perfect speed is being there.
Nathan2055

Post by Nathan2055 »

JWPlatt wrote:Greetings,

Your timing is appropriate. We are recently considering the archival (mothballing) of inactive project forums here. Your "Community Nexus" project forum is on the list. If you would like to return to it and keep it active, please let us know by resuming your project. Active projects are a welcome sight and we are happy to keep them available. If I have any advice to give, don't let anyone, not anyone, take away your vision and enthusiasm for what you enjoy doing. Just do it and maybe it won't work out, but maybe it will. It definitely won't if you allow others to persuade you that it won't. My other advice is to stay objective and keep politics out of it, as difficult as that is; look to the future instead of lamenting the past.
Well, I say archive it. I was hoping more people from the GoW who were participating might come join and give their support but apparently not.
/me sighs
Anyway, I think I'm going to join the Minkata shard and test there. Thanks for your help!
Deledrius

Post by Deledrius »

Is this you? http://forum.guildofwriters.org/memberl ... ile&u=4976

I don't see why you'd be unable to log in, but things have been rearranged a bit in the last year or so. Perhaps try going to http://forum.guildofwriters.org and log in directly from there? Maybe you've got a latent cookie throwing it off?
Nathan2055

Post by Nathan2055 »

Deledrius wrote:Is this you? http://forum.guildofwriters.org/memberl ... ile&u=4976

I don't see why you'd be unable to log in, but things have been rearranged a bit in the last year or so. Perhaps try going to http://forum.guildofwriters.org and log in directly from there? Maybe you've got a latent cookie throwing it off?
I went into Firefox's cookies and individually nuked each and every cookie from the GoW. I can log in now! Most likely it was an issue with the old cookies conflicting with the new cookies. Thanks!
Deledrius

Post by Deledrius »

Nathan2055 wrote: I went into Firefox's cookies and individually nuked each and every cookie from the GoW. I can log in now! Most likely it was an issue with the old cookies conflicting with the new cookies. Thanks!
Glad to be of help. Usually stale cookies are the first thing to try when log-ins fail. The web can be a creaky place sometimes. :)
Lyrositor

Post by Lyrositor »

Welcome (back?) Nathan! :D

Contributing to open-source Uru can be done in a variety of ways. I'm going to list the options that pop into my head right now (more or less in order of difficulty, depending on your skill-level in certain domains):
  • Test on the Gehn Shard (where development is happening) and on the Minkata Shard (where new code is tested before being sent to Cyan). File bug reports, stay up-to-date with the new features, and so on.
  • Make your own shard: I'm currently doing Q&A to help people do this. If more people start setting up their own personal shards, the word about open-source will spread. You could use either MOSS or DIRTSAND for this, and this allows you to gain a better understanding of both the server and the client.
  • Document everything: there's a lot to document, both in the code and in theory. The best wiki for this will depend on what exactly you're documenting (I mostly did work on DIRTSAND, Plasma and MOSS, which involved both wikis).
  • Contribute code to CWE (CyanWorlds.com Engine) or moul-scripts. You'll need to be a programmer for this, obviously. The Guild of Writers has a substantial list of features that need improvement, so you could clone their repo and start submitting pull requests, or you could clone OpenUru.org's BitBucket repo and start submitting PRs there. The difference between the too is that your code will probably be accepted more rapidly into H'uru's fork, but submitting to OpenUru.org gives your code a better chance of making it into MO:ULa.
  • Create some content: fan Ages for MO:UL are one of the most sought-after goals of open-source, so if you have modelling experience, I'm sure you could find a project to work on. ;)
I hope you find something to do that you like! 8-)
Lyrositor
Explorer #16601888
To D'ni, or not to D'ni. There is no question.

Return to “Questions”