Is anyone grabbing an Occulus rift visor for development?

Ask away

Moderator: OpenUru.org Moderators

Li'Sah

Is anyone grabbing an Occulus rift visor for development?

Post by Li'Sah »

Hi,

I'm rewriting this post because I spazzed out the first time and wound up sounding like a used car salesman.

There is a new VR visor on kick starter called the Occulus Rift. I very much want to buy this visor for myself and experience Uru on a deeper level. The catch is that the prototype they are offering is not "consumer ready." Instead, it is part of a full developer kit and the plug-n-play version is probably a year or two away. :geek:

Unfortunately, I am not a developer, but since Uru is now open source integration of a developer prototype is kinda sorta feasible.

First, I would like to know if anyone is already working with this in Uru open source?

Second--If not, how miserably difficult would it be for a total amateur like myself to configure a 3d visor to Uru? Can I learn? Are there instructions?

Also, I am confused as to why the prototype wouldn't have some basic functionality in Uru, since it's fully rendered 3d. I know that I'd probably have to forego head tracking and other advanced features, but shouldn't the visor do Something?

Here's the link I started with
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/152 ... o-the-game

I've been scouring the FAQ s and related articles and there just isn't enough info yet, so I'm asking in this forum and emailing the visor company.

Any insight or guidance would be deeply appreciated!
Last edited by Li'Sah on Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
Hoikas

Re: Is anyone grabbing an Occulus rift visor for development

Post by Hoikas »

We're doing good to write bugfixes at this point, given the severe case of disillusionment and developer discouragement. :?
Li'Sah

Post by Li'Sah »

Man, I was hoping things were better than that . . . Uru certainly has its ups and downs at every stage.
Lyrositor

Post by Lyrositor »

Unfortunately, there's not a whole lot of work being done right now, as Hoikas said. It's been this way since... the beginning of summer, I guess? When you look at the Github list of commits, you'll see that there were only a few commits these past months, and most of them were not user-noticeable. Then OpenUru.org hasn't updated Minkata in a few months (in part because of Rarified's situation, with the fires and all that), so fixes in the works aren't coming through. At this point, the biggest update we can hope for is Bullet Physics of OpenGL, but even that's far off.

As such, this SDK kit seems to be very far off, if at all possible. So, I'd say that you shouldn't get your hopes up for this, however cool it might be. :|
Lyrositor
Explorer #16601888
To D'ni, or not to D'ni. There is no question.
Marten

Post by Marten »

Sorry for a two-months-later threadsurrection... just noticed this.

In addition to the points made above, it isn't clear that Uru would work very well in 3D. Others have played around using 3D goggles with Uru, and in some places it works... but in other places, it doesn't.

In some Ages, for example, it can become really obvious that the horizon is a texture that really isn't very far away at all. Anywhere that Cyan has used a flat texture instead of a modeled surface, that also would become much more obvious where in the 2D game it isn't always noticeable. (Putting aside the issue of Dereno, where it is obvious even in 2D. Sigh.)
The music is reversible, but time is not.

Return to “Questions”