Community Questions

Ask away

Moderator: OpenUru.org Moderators

Szark

Community Questions

Post by Szark »

I found this question over at the TCT.
lego_addict wrote: Will this place serve as a staging point to a GNU/Linux platform port?
Szark
admin
Site Admin

Re: Community Questions

Post by admin »

If you have a project which does that, and you would like to develop it here, sure. If you are asking if OpenUru.org is a central point for anything, no. This site has no agreements in place, and is not affiliated with, Cyan Worlds or any other controlling interest in the Uru Open Souce materials.
Grogyan

Post by Grogyan »

There is unlikely to ever be a Linux port as the game uses DirectX a Microsoft SDK for MS OS only (excluding xbox 360)
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Grogyan wrote:There is unlikely to ever be a Linux port as the game uses DirectX a Microsoft SDK for MS OS only (excluding xbox 360)
So, how did the Mac version work then? I'm not being sarcastic ;) - I really don't know. Was that another emulation rather than a port?
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
teedyo

Post by teedyo »

Mac_Fife wrote:
Grogyan wrote:There is unlikely to ever be a Linux port as the game uses DirectX a Microsoft SDK for MS OS only (excluding xbox 360)
So, how did the Mac version work then? I'm not being sarcastic ;) - I really don't know. Was that another emulation rather than a port?
Yes, MO:UL for Mac was via VM. I don't see how the Plasma engine using DX somehow negates a port to OpenGL to create native Linux, BSD, and Mac versions. Pixels on a screen my friends, how they get there is up to the people with the time and knowledge to direct them.
Grogyan

Post by Grogyan »

Mac_Fife wrote:
Yes, via VM because of the similarities between MS and Mac.

Linux however is completely different in just about every way
This topic explains a bit
http://www.mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16284

Pretty much the problem is to have fundamentals in place so that game breaking bugs that don't happen on Mac and Windows don't happen under Linux's WINE

Or have someone do an emulation program that interfaces the game with Linux, just MOOSE, no other game.
teedyo

Post by teedyo »

You do realize that as far as operating systems go; Linux and Mac OSX are *much* more similar than Mac OSX and Windows!? iow Windows is the odd man out. About the only similarity between Windows and Mac is that they are both commercial, proprietary OSes.

Return to “Questions”