Database (Vault): Migration required?

Open: Focusing On "Big Picture" Technical Practicalities To Get Open Uru Online

Moderator: System Concepts Managers

Mac_Fife

Database (Vault): Migration required?

Post by Mac_Fife »

From some of the early MO:UL discussions, I recall that the vault was implemented as an Oracle database, possibly Oracle 9i or 10g. Finding "free" access to an Oracle installation doesn't seem likely, so I expect we'll need to migrate to some alternative RDBMS.

I think it's pretty safe to assume that the interface between the server application and the database is SQL, so it ought to be possible to use just about any database supporting SQL, such as PostgeSQL or mySQL, although I'd anticipate some performance issues might arise. There may also be some anomolies in the behaviour of some queries when applied to a non-Oracle DB. In my experience, mySQL is more prone to these kind of things than PostgreSQL - it probably comes down to the level of compliance with ANSI-SQL 92/99 that the respective DBs achieve.

Are there other DBMSs we could consider?

I also guess that an empty table set could be provided by Cyan as an SQL query, assuming that there's no specific DB creation tooling as part of the server software.

Further thoughts anyone?
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
JWPlatt

Re: Database (Vault): Migration required?

Post by JWPlatt »

I would hope that like many systems, multiple RDBMS platforms would be supported. Large shards wanting the power of Oracle and willing to pay for it could still use that. Or MS SQL for people who like Microsoft (yes, many do in fact *like* Microsoft). Free shards might opt for MySQL, if possible. I use MySQL a lot and would love to see it supported.

I would prefer having the SQL scripts necessary to create the initial dataset than just the tables, but it's easy enough to work backward to it.
Perfect speed is being there.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Obviously if someone does have Oracle available then that ought to be (mostly) a no brainer. I hadn't actually thought about it before, but I suppose there's Oracle XE avaiable free. Might be a "quick win" there.

I didn't intentionally omit MS SQL, just forgot about it :) , and I'm also a big MySQL user myself, but I am aware of some limitations when compared to PostgreSQL (I was actually at a conference in Estonia last month where this very subject was discussed at some length - I'm afraid I didn't actually pay too much attention to that one :oops: )
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
teedyo

Post by teedyo »

Looks like Oracle XE might be too limiting; only one DB/machine. It may be enough to get a shard up and running.

For those diehard Windows users; it appears that MS SQL Server 2008 Express is downloadable for free. It's also neutered, tho'.

I'm going to have to agree with PostgreSQL or MySQL for long term.
GideaNinja

Post by GideaNinja »

I'm not sure what you mean by "free" oracle.
Do you just need the Cd's or dvd-roms?
I know a guy who works for a cd/dvd manufacturing place who has Oracle as one of the Clients.
So there's extra disks sitting around his warehouse i bet.
Or do you mean an open-source oracle?

thanks

-Gidea
T_S_Kimball

Post by T_S_Kimball »

Yes, you can get the media easily enough. But if you're doing anything other than development it requires a license contract.

And those are NOT cheap (from personal experience with a 2-node RAC pair).

--TSK
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

"Free" as in legally free.

For more details on Oracle Express Edition ("Free to develop, deploy, and distribute") and to download:

http://www.oracle.com/technology/produc ... index.html
Perfect speed is being there.
T_S_Kimball

Post by T_S_Kimball »

Wow.

Given personal experience with Oracle, that's a really cool thing to see.

It's still severely limited (compared to what it *can* do - for example, no RAC cluster), but 4 gig is overkill for a shard server anyway.

So I sit corrected, thanks. :)

--TSK

PS - There are still caveats in using Oracle, but only if you're not familiar with it. We normally deal in Sybase (Sun SPARC) for the 'heavy lifting' at work. *shrug*

Return to “System Concepts”