I'd be grateful for an overview myself. It might also help to structure this project forum if we agree on a set of topic title tags for different stages/items in the process.
[Edit: The following is a compilation from subsequent posts in this thread, with links to other threads.]
[Edit 21 Dec 08: rarified's list][What we can do now]
0.5) Server Net shopping
Develop some way of paying for server use (?donations through PayPal)
1) Inventory assets:
People (skills, time/opportunity)
Prerequisite Software (DB, Developer tools (compilers, SDKs, etc))
2) Match assets to broad task categories
Client (PRP/Plasma experts, DirectX experts, Microsoft App development)
Server (Web services, DB services, Network Admin, Microsoft Server development)
3) Prepare as much as possible initial environments for building, testing and deployment
(may not be worth the time yet unless we're pretty confident we know baselines)
[After first release from Cyan, assume a full release of both client and server code]
[[If build instructions are available in release, skip to step 5]]
4) (Likely there will be a split in effort: following steps replicated for client and server code)
Examine code for hints as to build process (IDE, VStudio, "make"-like tools, build tools such
as compilers, SDKs, etc). Dissemanate information to community.
5) Construct build environment(s). Acquire missing tools if needed. Announce (as desired)
availability of build areas to interested parties.
6) Instantiate local working set from repository on build environments.
7) Attempt build with tools available. If build fails, request assistance from Cyan and/or other
community parties working in parallel. May find additional requirements for build env.
Repeat until error-free build. Relay success and method to community.
8) If testing code and/or procedures are part of release, perform tests, both client and server.
Repair and repeat at (7) until success. Relay success and method to community.
9) By this time it will hopefully become apparent what the topology of the server backends are
required. Locate facilities adequate for small scale deployment (may use virtual machines
for this step). Prepare server hosts with prerequisite software.
[[If deployment instructions and/or procedures are in release skip to step 11]]
10) Determine minimum deployment of built server code, mapping to machines and infrastructure.
Decide on a deployment mechanism and process.
11) Deploy server code. Initialize any databases and set up connectors. (Presumably this environment
will be entirely local between servers and clients so as not to introduce firewall/security
effects at this time). Establish process for determining health of servers. Relay progress
12) Local client and server functional testing. Looking for baseline problems (connectivity, downloading,
virtual environment state, authentication, mismatched software, anything else grossly nonfunctional)
[Edit 22 Dec 08: Added 'Phase 1' to thread title]
[Edit 26 Dec 08: added Grogyan's stage 0.5, and links to threads]