Phase 1: Outline of what needs doing

Open: Focusing On "Big Picture" Technical Practicalities To Get Open Uru Online

Moderator: System Concepts Managers

JWPlatt

Re: Phase 1: Outline of what needs doing

Post by JWPlatt »

If you all are looking for something to do, I'm going to call on my mantra to get what has been discussed in this project group onto the wiki. Something people can follow as general guidelines to choose the specifics they want. Assume only moderate systems knowledge so it is accessible to a newcomer or casual fan who wants to build something. I'd say make your best guess about the requirements for incrementallly scaled installations of various magnitudes and include that in a fleshed-out outline. Our best guess should be fine for now and, when the time comes, the real details can be plugged in like a spreadsheet more peacefully than a "disorganized riot."

I notice rarified has created an autobuild account into the bug tracker. That's really a topic for Building & Testing, but it's an example of little steps which helps get us more prepared than not.

P.S. To Marten's edit:
Linky: http://messengers.sixpencemedia.com/for ... 8156#p8156

Marten, what did you mean by "security?"
Perfect speed is being there.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Mod Note: Marten's reply which was originally posted here has been moved into Security: Trusting the servers topic. ;)
rarified

Post by rarified »

In the spirit of what JW is asking for, I started playing with building a Gantt project model for the instantiation of OpenURU. I've started by using OpenProj.

My first effort has been at identifying the resources that will make up the project. Identifying the resources that are prerequisites to tasks help identify dependencies (such as "We can't decide how to run the servers till the licensing terms are available").

I've put up the one page PDF list of top-level resources I've come up with here. I'd appreciate feedback about whether this looks "right", or if someone more experienced in Gantt planning has a better approach when diving in. Also let me know if the organization hierarchy looks appropriate.

If I get a rudimentary plan started, we can place it on the wiki and let the group work on it together. I don't know if openproj has a good way to export/import or reformat the plan other than in PDF, so other tool suggestions are welcome as well.
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

On first perusal, I'd suggest that many of the items you've identified really constitute "milestone dependencies"; asynchronous events that must occur to allow tasks (not yet detailed) to commence. This is probably a good kick-off, but the real substance will come if people can flesh out the task list.

I'd suggest looking at ]project-open[ and dotProject since both have web client interface, allowing everyone to contribute to the plan. Both support multiple projects accessible through single log-ins, use of sub-projects, etc.
On the whole ]project-open[ is probably the more complete package, but:
  • It's a bit "heavyweight": If you're used to working with Enterprise PM tools like SAP, Artemis and the like, then it's no biggie, but it could be a bit daunting to many.
  • Installation can be tricky though, so it's up to JW_Platt to take a look and see if it's something he'd be prepared to host.
So, might not be that attractive. On the other hand, dotProject looks to be slightly less elegant in the User Interface department but meets the JW_Platt criteria of "Apache, PHP, MySQL", so is probably an easier install.

(Hmm... I guess this should have gone in the Suggestions > OpenURU.org tools thread ;) )
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
rarified

Post by rarified »

I've continued the discussion of project management software here.
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.

Return to “System Concepts”