Assets: Prerequisite Software

Open: Focusing On "Big Picture" Technical Practicalities To Get Open Uru Online

Moderator: System Concepts Managers

rarified

Re: Assets: Prerequisite Software

Post by rarified »

I'm going to spend the next few days researching and trying out various continuous integration server implementations. I'm going to try to stay away from proprietary ones such as what comes with VS Team Suite/MSBuild, since we're likely to have efforts building on other platforms soon. (I have my favorite -- Continuum -- but other suggestions such as Hudson are welcome.)

Hopefully we can have a foundry-type organization that takes advantage of multiple build servers on different platforms, and can be driven from more than one repository.

The goal should be to eliminate as many "process" errors as possible. We're going to have enough unknowns to deal with.
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
Chacal

Post by Chacal »

Versioning and distribution discussions are ongoing in the MOUL forum.
rarified

Post by rarified »

Chacal wrote:Versioning and distribution discussions are ongoing in the MOUL forum.
Yes, and I contributed there early on. But continuous integration is independent of the versioning software or repository locations. It deals with automating the process of rebuilding software as soon as a change is propogated up to a repository, in order to catch bad code that gets checked in.

I'm not trying in any way to detract from this http://www.mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16735 discussion.
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
MustardJeep

Post by MustardJeep »

continuous integration
That seems to be the rub that Cyan was talking about on giving rights to people so they can add to a repository. People can pickup most of the tools free to program, or model bits and pieces of Ages with but unless you trust them to follow the rules do you want them posting directly to the repository? The programming side is where things like templates and API's really do need to be followed, and that is something the microsoft lite compilers do well. If someone has a full compiler they have a few more resources to work with then the free lite ones, but in the end they both work just the same.

Can't wait to see the code in person. :D
T_S_Kimball

Post by T_S_Kimball »

It's likely that at first, patches will be allowed for submission into the repository. If an individual contributes enough times (or the submissions are of good quality), they'll be given proper commit access of their own.

This is the model used on 'open source' projects such as the old libsecondlife and open-sim, which don't initially allow submit access. I believe larger projects like OpenSolaris have the same thing.

--TSK

Return to “System Concepts”