Moderator: System Concepts Managers

Dot

Assets: Prerequisite Software

Post by Dot »

The first stage of Phase 1 is to inventory assets:
1) Inventory assets:
People (skills, time/opportunity)
Hardware/Facilities
Prerequisite Software (DB, Developer tools (compilers, SDKs, etc))
Please post in this thread prerequisite software needs and availability. Thanks!
realXCV

Re: Assets: Prerequisite Software

Post by realXCV »

Compiler: yes
SDK: yes
DB: sometimes
Hardware: ... yes?
Me: yes
Source code: not yet.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Hmm...,
I've got an Enterprise edition of MS Visual Studio, but it's quite an old copy now, so maybe not that useful :?

Python is downloadable, but I'm not sure which version is appropriate: I guess we won't be able to firm up on what's needed until Cyan publish details, unless some folks here have "insights"?
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
realXCV

Post by realXCV »

Mac_Fife wrote:Hmm...,
I've got an Enterprise edition of MS Visual Studio, but it's quite an old copy now, so maybe not that useful :?
Which version ?

UruExplorer.exe has some imports from from msvcp71.dll and msvcr71.dll which are the runtime for visual c++ 7.1 (visual studio .net 2003)

Mod note: Fixed broken quote tags
rarified

Post by rarified »

MSDN has a free 90 day trial download of Studio 2008; we could at least try that to see if it has what is needed.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

realXCV wrote:
Mac_Fife wrote:Hmm...,
Which version ?
Visual Studio 97 :shock: - I said it was an old copy!

Another point - some of the ALCUGS and similar tools will likely be redundant (like the PAK unpackers, etc.), since we ought to get Cyan's tools.
Mac_Fife
Grogyan

Post by Grogyan »

MS visual Studio Express edition is free to everyone, with no membership to MSDN, though you can browse the site as much as you like
DeeZaster

Post by DeeZaster »

I have pretty much everything that's needed and I'd be more than happy to help out and get this project going. I have MS Visual Studio 2008 Team Suite as well as Database. I do have a 2005 kicking around here if everyone would rather using that version (no need for the newer framework). As well, I also have Setup Factory for Windows Installer if a installation package will be needed to send to others, inno Setup is free though and works fairly well.

I haven't taken a look at the source yet, I need to get a hold of it soon. I do have one problem though, my video card is toast atm and I'm sending it in today for a replacement. This is going to take roughly about 3 weeks till I get my replacement. The current card I'm using as a temp I doubt will even run URU, I'll have to give it a try and see. I would be able to debug in both x86 and x64 as well (dual vista ultimate boot).
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Grogyan wrote:MS visual Studio Express edition is free to everyone, ...
I had a look at the Visual C++ Express edition a wee while back when I was on a different mission. If I recall, there was some severe (to me) limitations in what you could build with it, e.g. you could build a Windows MFC app, but not a console app or something like that. I don't remember the details (can't even remember what I was trying to do at the time :roll: ) , but I know I binned it quite quickly because it wouldn't do what I wanted.

Maybe someone who knows the Express editions better can clarify this.
Mac_Fife
realXCV

Post by realXCV »

I remember that one of the limitation is that you can only have one product.

Return to “System Concepts”