Speaking of Bugzilla....

Open: Focusing On "Big Picture" Technical Practicalities To Get Open Uru Online

Moderator: System Concepts Managers

rarified

Re: Speaking of Bugzilla....

Post by rarified »

One that I found that's not in the Wiki list is Mantis.
MantisBT is a free popular web-based bugtracking system. It is written in the PHP scripting language and works with MySQL, MS SQL, and PostgreSQL databases and a webserver. MantisBT has been installed on Windows, Linux, Mac OS, OS/2, and others. Almost any web browser should be able to function as a client. It is released under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL).
It seems to meet the prerequisite list JW posted. I'll see about setting up a sample server tonight.
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Yes, I did mention Mantis somewhere. Even looked at it a bit. It had colors and some good organization. ;) I'd like to know if it's functional enough for the purpose.

As for cost, I am willing to look at a reasonable cost. It doesn't need to be completely free, if it's really good, though I did choose phpBB over something like vBulletin because it is good, is is open source, and it is free.
Perfect speed is being there.
Dot

Post by Dot »

Mac_Fife wrote:In any case, ease of use, especialy an intuitive UI, has to be a major decision factor: If it's clumsy to use, people won't use it unless they feel they really need to, which means that a lot of useful feedback gets lost.
That describes to a T the difficulty I had with Bugzilla -- if you don't mind me claiming to be an example of the type of person who will need to use whatever is mooted (i.e. willing to help, but not techie).
rarified

Post by rarified »

I've set up a sample Mantis tracker here temporarily for people to try it out.

It has a user "uru" password "urutest" as a manager account so you can see what it can do.

Feedback is helpful. I can set up other sample trackers if they're of interest.
Dot

Post by Dot »

Thanks for setting up the Mantis sample, rarified.

I've tried reporting a bug in the GoMa project section for one of ametist's Uru:CC/ULM ages to see how it would be done, and hopefully to give some idea of the sort of training or instructions an interested layperson/bugtester might need in order to use such a system. (i.e. I've probably done something wrong but I don't know what!)

It does look less scary than Bugzilla at first sight.
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Yes, thanks rarified!

I reported issue #0000003. I still like Mantis on second impressions, though that's not an official opinion yet. The name itself does have a nice hook into Josh Staub's Mantis Parable short animation. ;)
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

rarified's test installation of Mantis can now also be reached on the OpenURU.org domain at http://foundry.OpenURU.org.

;)
ametist

Post by ametist »

Dot wrote:Thanks for setting up the Mantis sample, rarified.
Agree! :)
Dot wrote:I've tried reporting a bug in the GoMa project section for one of ametist's Uru:CC/ULM ages to see how it would be done,...

... and I've fixed the bug right now, thanks!. :D Though I couldn't find any other way to report that, other than 'adding a note'.
Dot wrote:It does look less scary than Bugzilla at first sight.

It really does and I'm going to look into it some more. :)
rarified

Post by rarified »

Glad to see people looking and the feedback.

I've continued some exploration with another class of tools, Issue Tracking.

The one that meets the discussed administrative requirements (PHP/Mysql/easy) that I've set up is called "Eventum". I've created a test installation at here.

I havn't prepopulated it as I did with Mantis, but I did set up a manager account as user urutest@openuru.org with a password of urutest. Feel free to try it.

Issue tracking is directed more to the "back end" of support; whoever starts to work on an issue that they've assumed responsibility for would make an entry here, and then others can see what progress has been made with the "issue". Depending on how peer support evolves in Uru, it may be useful. Or not.

As before -- look, play, and post opinions.
Last edited by rarified on Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rarified

Post by rarified »

I also was looking for other example skins for Mantis that don't look so clunky.

Here is one group's set of examples.

I'm not a graphic artist, so this isn't an area I can provide much material on ;)

Return to “System Concepts”