Building & Testing Forum

Open: Collect Technical Information Regarding Building And Testing Uru

Moderator: Building & Testing Managers

rarified

Building & Testing Forum

Post by rarified »

A forum for the discussion of technical issues related to building and testing the URU source code.

These topics will probably be fairly technical. Subjects for discussion include such things as compilers and build tools, operating systems, networking, and other software needed to build URU. Also relevent are experiences in setting up environments for doing additional URU development, constructing tools such as libPlasma, PageEditor, and PyPRP.

Another important issue will be automatic testing of the URU client and server. We don't know yet if the URU source will include any test code, but even if it does not it will be useful to put together a set of sanity tests to detect gross faults that may be introduced by code changes or poorly executed builds. It would be good to get some discussion going on this topic.

These items are just as important as adding artistic or conceptual changes to the game -- they are a necessary step in getting URU up and running. I hope we can get our experienced software experts to contribute and make the process of transforming code to a working URU world to be as robust and error free as possible.

Thanks all.
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
teedyo

Re: Building & Testing Forum

Post by teedyo »

At the least; there should probably be sub-forums for *nix server, windows server, and windows client. Perhaps even a *nix client sometime in the future. Then each of these could perhaps have a stickied thread with a list of known dependencies and working/non-working tool-sets. That last may be better as a wiki entry along with build instructions. :?:
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Subforums will happily be created to specifications upon request of project leaders.

Wiki use and links are encouraged.
rarified

Post by rarified »

While I agree that eventually we will need to deal with building parts of URU under *nix systems and possibly other platforms, for the moment I'd like to keep the forum focused on what we have at hand... Building URU in it's original incarnation. I think it's a reasonable assumption to say that the platform in that case will be primarily Windows based.

As we gain experience with the code, I'd like to transfer information we've recorded in this forum to the Wiki pages I've started setting up on OpenURU in the Open URU Documentation Project. There we can organize things by either component or platform.
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
teedyo

Post by teedyo »

True. I just think that even those who have Windows Server will want to get out from under the Oracle requirement ASAP.

One that note. I really hope that Cyan publishes the db schema with the rest of the source.

Return to “Building & Testing”