Getting Projects on Mantis

Repositories, Code Review, Bug Tracking, Feature Requests, Builds, Management, Support & Use

Moderators: OpenUru.org Moderators, Bugtracker Resource Managers

admin
Site Admin

Re: Getting Projects on Mantis

Post by admin »

Moved topic to new Bugtracking Resource forum.
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Whilyam wrote:Fens
Maw
Tor'oolbah
Bimevi

Thanks
I see these were already entered as categories. We're still learning, but I think they should be entered as subprojects. Categories might be more along the lines of Documentation, Modeling, Textures, Wiring, etc, which cut across all subprojects. Categories should be considered the kinds of bugs being reported. Admins, please let me know if this is right.

There's also the case where you could create an Ahra Pahts Documentation project to which, for example, all Ahra Pahts shells could link to as a subproject if there were to be a master Ahra Pahts book of some sort. There's a lot you can do with this.

I have arranged your project with subprojects and categories as it probably should be. You might prefer different categories, but you'll get the gist of it when you see what I did. You can certainly change them to suit your needs.
Perfect speed is being there.
Whilyam

Post by Whilyam »

Looks great. Thanks! I understood what categories could be, but I was using them there as stand-ins until I could get subprojects.
Dot

Post by Dot »

I'm a little concerned about using categories for bugs like this. It might be too complicated for many people who would be willing to report bugs otherwise.

Most of us aren't professionals in this field, and we might not have a clue which category a bug we encountered should be placed in. That would probably put us off reporting it in the first place (and this is a key issue with Bugzilla -- its complexity put many people off using it).

Or is the categorisation done by the Age writer after the bug has been reported?
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Agreed. Category is one of the few required fields. It is selected by the user, but can be changed by the person handling the report. Among the category options could be "I Don't Know" which is a sure clue that it needs to be reassigned by someone who would know better. Also, I just chose those categories as a sample. Whilyam can change it to fit his needs and those of his users. I think it comes down to being knowledgeable about the people using your product, listening to concerns like yours, and adjusting the presentation.
Perfect speed is being there.
Grogyan

Post by Grogyan »

This is great, watching writers adding lots of Ages to a bug tracker

Return to “Foundry (JIRA/Fisheye/Crucible or Mantis)”