Mantis Activity

Repositories, Code Review, Bug Tracking, Feature Requests, Builds, Management, Support & Use

Moderators: OpenUru.org Moderators, Bugtracker Resource Managers

Mac_Fife

Re: Mantis Activity

Post by Mac_Fife »

I wasn't aware of that :) I was thinking of even just an export of data to the relevant managers, if it came to it. I suspect a lot of that stuff has little relevance now since it's possibly a year or more old, but a migration path to JIRA would make losing Mantis even less of an issue.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

The upgrade of Mantis 1.1 to 1.2 was a significant upgrade to its database. The dates were somehow affected in the process and the changes to Mantis broke JIRA integration with it. Integration has since been restored (about a year after I reported it to Atlassian). Because Mantis was still effectively in evaluation, I thought the date corruption spoke for itself as far as Mantis quality control goes. Although the dates were wrong, all the data was otherwise correct. Because of its evaluation nature, I did not bother to back up the database before the upgrade, so I could not correct the problem.

In many ways, I find management of Mantis is more difficult and confusing than JIRA even though JIRA is vastly more complex. Nice job, Atlassian. But other people seem to enjoy it, so maybe it's just me. There are a lot of people who really enjoy Mantis so I'd like to retain its simplicity for them as an option. If someone has a small project and finds JIRA too intimidating and inaccessible (in terms of a learning curve), I'd like to have something to offer them rather than lose the project. So maybe like our wikiCMS is our poor man's CMS, Mantis can be our poor man's issue tracking.

This might be a different story if JIRA could not be integrated with the Mantis database. JIRA has direct access to the Mantis database from the Foundry. Rarified and I set up the integration a long time ago. Those who enjoy Mantis can use it. Those who enjoy JIRA can see what's up in Mantis. I therefore believe it will be of benefit as a unit.
Perfect speed is being there.
rarified

Post by rarified »

JWPlatt wrote:JIRA has direct access to the Mantis database from the Foundry. Rarified and I set up the integration a long time ago. Those who enjoy Mantis can use it. Those who enjoy JIRA can see what's up in Mantis.
Caution here... The import facility is a one-time transfer, not an ongoing linkage. It does require direct access to the Mantis MySQL db to extract data (where did I put that info anyway?), but it is not a continual association.

We probably could set up a periodic time to update JIRA automagically if that would be desirable.

_R
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Let's test that and then set it for monthly import until and unless Mantis sees any activity at all. Monthly is infrequent enough to not be a terrible hassle if something doesn't work and frequent enough to be reminded that the link is there and works.

And by "test that," I mean when you have absolutely nothing else to do, all the bills are paid, the dog's been walked, and your ISP has delivered a reliable upgrade to spec.
Whilyam

Post by Whilyam »

Just curious, are we still using Mantis? I haven't gotten any bugs and I *know* my Ages aren't perfect.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Yes, Mantis is still active, and as far as I'm aware nothing has been done to change the configuration that would stop any bug reports being added: No Projects have been closed down, or least not unless the owner expressly asked for that.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Mantis is still up and alive, and perfectly usable. And it's included with our automated backups. But it needs a real admin's love. JIRA is better. ;)
ametist

Post by ametist »

I'm sorry to say I haven't been very active with Mantis for a rather long period, but now I guess it's time for me to do just that :) .
Guild member The Devokan Trust
ametist

Post by ametist »

FYI - I am now stepping down as member(admin) in MANTIS and I have left a question over at GoMa so if they want a representative (which was the way I got on to it in the first place) they have to discuss that and come back here to 'talk' with the siteadmin.
Guild member The Devokan Trust

Return to “Foundry (JIRA/Fisheye/Crucible or Mantis)”