New resource: Atlassian JIRA Project Management

Repositories, Code Review, Bug Tracking, Feature Requests, Builds, Management, Support & Use

Moderators: OpenUru.org Moderators, Bugtracker Resource Managers

rarified

New resource: Atlassian JIRA Project Management

Post by rarified »

We've created an instance of the Atlassian JIRA management tool for people to sample. It is popular as a bug/issue tracking system, as well as a more general project management tool.

It is a commercial product, but it is available at no cost (but licensed) to open-source projects. We currently have a 30-day evaluation license for our test period.

The OpenURU Evaluation JIRA can be accessed at http://foundry.openuru.org/jira.

You will need to log into JIRA to use it. Either use the predefined username demo with password also demo, or click the "sign-up" link under the login name box to create your own user. The demo user is already assigned as a developer for a demo project, but if you want to use your own username (and perhaps manage a different trial project) let us know and we'll create the right linkages and permissions.

Please post questions to this thread.

_R
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
JWPlatt

Re: New resource: Atlassian JIRA Project Management

Post by JWPlatt »

I've opened the Demo project to public browsing, issue creation and comments. I thought it important for public trials. If anyone would like to play, let us know how it goes.
Perfect speed is being there.
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

I've added a field configuration scheme to allow anonymous users to create issues without the reporter error. They can now also create attachments with issues.

Overall permissions are a work in progress.
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

I only learned yesterday (thanks, OHB) that our JIRA tracking resource was getting a large amount of comment spam. I don't usually visit it unless someone needs something done, so I was unaware there was a problem. Squeaky wheel gets the grease. No squeak, no grease. Our JIRA is licenced for 10 users. That's why we must allow anonymous users to create issues and leave comments. Anonymous comment spam is an inconvenience to project leaders, but the lack of a requirement to have an account to help projects with bug tracking benefits an open community. It will have to be like this until we can obtain an unlimited license from Atlassian with a qualifying open source project. In the meantime, I've found a tool in JIRA that allows me to remove spam comments. I will try to attend to it more often so projects using our resource won't get lost in the spam.
Christian Walther

Post by Christian Walther »

Thanks! I did notice the spam, but was too lazy to log into the forum and find where and to whom to squeak about it. :)
Christian Walther

Post by Christian Walther »

Apparently the spammers have found WIREPLUG-5… in case anyone is interested in cleaning that up. (Not that it bothers me much at the moment.)
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Yuk! That's a big mess of spam :( . Probably needs JW or rarified to clean that up.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Yeah.

O-kaaaay. I cleaned up yesteday's spam last night, then went straight back first thing this morning to find that a record number of spam comments - nearly two hundred - arrived overnight. And when I say "overnight" I mean the all-too-short interval of hours between shutting down in the early morning hours and waking up with the morning sun. It must have been some sort of retaliatory strike after nuking them last night.

So.

Sadly, I have shut down anonymous comments. But there have been no new-issue spams, so I'm still allowing anonymous folks to CREATE new issues. I will soon add a reporter account for which the username and password will be publicly published. You'll be able to comment via that account.

I never imagined JIRA would be a bigger spam problem than things less specialized like forums or a wiki.
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Anyone in the Myst/Uru open source community who would like an account on JIRA may now freely do so - no restrictions. Registrations are now public, so long as spammers don't spoil the party.

http://Foundry.OpenUru.org/jira

I have just obtained and applied open source unlimited user licenses for the following Atlassian products:

JIRA
Bamboo
Clover
Confluence
Fisheye
Greenhopper

The Foundry currently has JIRA plus Greenhopper installed. But now the possibilities have opened up, if we would like to add them.

Also, the IDE Connector is freely available to connect to JIRA, Bamboo, Crucible and FishEye directly from Eclipse, IntelliJ IDEA and Visual Studio.

Return to “Foundry (JIRA/Fisheye/Crucible or Mantis)”