Foundry Downtime Monday 12/26/2011 2pm US/Mountain Time

Repositories, Code Review, Bug Tracking, Feature Requests, Builds, Management, Support & Use

Moderators: OpenUru.org Moderators, Bugtracker Resource Managers

rarified

Foundry Downtime Monday 12/26/2011 2pm US/Mountain Time

Post by rarified »

I'll be taking the Foundry down Monday afternoon to do some hardware upgrades to the server. If all goes well it should only take about 30 minutes, but there is always the off chance things may not go so well. I'll post here that the server is back up after the upgrade is done.

All foundry services (Repositories, JIRA, Fisheye, Jenkins, and the Minkata Shard) will be unavailable during this time.

_R
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
rarified

Re: Foundry Downtime Monday 12/26/2011 2pm US/Mountain Time

Post by rarified »

Unfortunately things didn't go as planned, so the downtime was longer than planned.

The Foundry is now up, as is the Minkata shard.

_R
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

:idea: A thought: When there's Foundry-wide down time like this, it's possibly worth cross-posting in the Minkata Test Shard forum: I'm guessing that a lot of shard users won't know to look here to find out if the shard is down or not :? .
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
rarified

Post by rarified »

There was an announcement made on the PING! posting (which I've edited now to reflect the shard is back up).

Do you feel editing the existing message on the PING thread is the wrong approach? I wanted to keep that posting clean with
just the first post present to reflect the status of the Foundry/Shard resources.
Christian Walther

Post by Christian Walther »

rarified wrote:There was an announcement made on the PING! posting (which I've edited now to reflect the shard is back up).
Did that announcement only consist of an edit as well? I didn’t get an e-mail notification, a new post in the Atom feed, nor do I see a post at viewtopic.php?t=670.
Do you feel editing the existing message on the PING thread is the wrong approach?
If the thread should serve its purpose, yes. Edits don’t cause notifications.
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

I have edited the top ping post to remove rarified's edit of the edited ping post. ;)

Yes, any PING!able shard news should be a new post - not edited - to generate notification emails. In this case, a single announcement post of the event, expected date, time and duration is all that should be posted. A followup post to the PING! thread notifying of completion should NOT be posted. i.e., a quota of one post per major news announcement. This is, in part, to minimize outgoing emails and avoid reaching any limits. This particular PING! announcement should have a link to the Foundry forum and state that the updated service status can be found there (actually, this thread).
Perfect speed is being there.
rarified

Post by rarified »

See... there you go. I didn't know edits wouldn't generate notifications. Now I do.

I'll leave the PHPbbs magic to JW from now on :roll:

Return to “Foundry (JIRA/Fisheye/Crucible or Mantis)”